Happy Birthday Pat Hentgen

New, comments
Detroit Tigers v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

It is Pat Hentgen’s 51st birthday today.

Pat will always be one of my favorite former Blue Jays.

He was the Cy Young winner in 1996, going 20-10 with a 3.22 ERA and pitching an amazing 265.2 innings. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a starter throw 250 inning or more? He also made 4 All-Star teams. And he has two World Series rings. He didn’t pitch in 1992 playoffs, but he had a win in the 1993 World Series against the Phillies. He was in line to pitch game 7, before Joe Carter ended the series in game 6.

As a Jay he was 107-85 with a 4.28 ERA in 10 season, playing in 270 games, 238 starts.

He sits 4th in team history in WAR at 26.7. 5th in wins, innings pitched, strikeouts and games started.

After the 1999 season, he was traded to the Cardinals, along with Paul Spoljaric for Alberto Castillo, Matt DeWitt and Lance Painter. It wasn’t one of our better trades. After one season in St. Louis, he signed as a free agent with the Orioles. After three seasons there, he came back to the Jays for one last season and retired.

In total he was 131-112 with 1 4.32 ERA in 344 games, 306 starts and a 33.0 bWAR.

And he talked to us. If you want to see the interview, it was spread over 5 parts. One, two, three, four and five.

Pat has kept in the organization, he was bullpen coach in 2011, then left after the season, for family reasons and he also did that job again in 2013.

A few years back he did a few innings in the TV broadcast booth. I thought he did a very good job. I’d love to see him do it more often.

He is listed as being part of the Blue Jays Winter Fest.

Happy birthday Pat. I hope it is a good one.