Question time: Which player in Blue Jays history did you have the highest hopes for, but didn’t live up to your expectations?

New, comments
Toronto Blue Jays v Minnesota Twins Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images

We seem to be slow for news at the moment. The closest thing I see to news is that Jonah Keri has been ‘re-arrested’ for breaking his release conditions by phoning his wife. His lawyer is calling it a ‘pocket dial’. As king of the pocket dials , this doesn’t ring true to me. When I pocket dial it generally means I’ve been texting and I put my phone in my pocket without turning it off. It is pretty rare that my phone picks someone to call at random.

Not baseball, but my Flames and Bill Peters have parted. Totally anecdotal, but I’ve always thought that teams that go from an intense (for lack of a better word, bullying I guess would be better) to a less intense, more relaxed coach/manager, tend to do well, at least in the short term (see current Maple Leafs).

I always thought that one of the things George Steinbrenner did right, back in the day, was to go from someone like Billy Martin who was extremely intense to someone like Bob Lemon, who was fair easier going, and then back to intense when the effect wore off.

I think there point where a yelling, bullying coach loses the room, the players tire of it and tune them out. Of course, less intense coaches can lose the room too.

We did the positive end of this question last week, so this time: Which player in Blue Jays history did you have the highest hopes for, but didn’t live up to your expectations?

There are a number of ways you can go, with this question, but I’m picking Brandon Morrow.

We traded Brandon League and Johermyn Chavez to Seattle to get Morrow. The Mariners couldn’t seem to decide if they wanted Morrow to be a starter or a reliever. The Jays decided he was a starter and stuck to their guns.

His first season, as a Jay, 2010, pitching coach Bruce Walton tinkered with his delivery some and tried to get him throwing strikes. It didn’t go great, he finished with a 4.49 ERA, but struck out 10.9 batters per 9 innings. The next year the Bruce worked with him to throw more ‘quality strikes’, but he still wasn’t very successful, putting up a 4.72 ERA. 2012, Morrow put it all together, he had a 2.96 ERA. It looked like we’d have a star pitcher for years to come.

After that, things fell apart, with a mess of injuries and, in those rare moments when he was healthy enough to pitch, ineffectiveness.

There were great moments, the biggest was August 8th, 2010, when he came within an out of a no-hitter, striking out 17 along the way. It might have been the best pitching performance I’ve ever seen. He was so good, I thought there would be more shots at no-hitters in his future. When he was on, he seemed unhittable.

He’s had some good moments in the bullpen since leaving the Jays, but he’s still been injury prone and

Who would you pick?