Devon Travis becomes a free agent

New, comments
MLB: FEB 22 Blue Jays Photo Day Photo by Cliff Welch/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Devon Travis has decided to become a free agent instead of taking an outright assignment.

It is the right move for him. There is no way he was going to have a future with the Blue Jays, but that doesn’t mean I’m not sad to see him go. Even if he could stay healthy there are a few guys that have passed him by on the depth chart.

Travis is a good guy:

He was a favorite of mine, I got a jersey with his name on early in his time with the Jays (which wasn’t a good omen, sorry Devon).

Devon came over to the Jays in trade for Anthony Gose, before the 2015 season.

In 2015 he hit .304/.361/.489 with 6 home runs in 62 games. He also spent time on the IL with shoulder inflammation, hitting the IL twice, once early in the season and once late in the season. He had shoulder surgery in the off-season and started the 2016 season on the IL.

He did get into 101 games in 2016, hitting .300/.332/.454 with 11 home runs. We all remember his injury in game one of the ALDS. There have been few times I’ve been as sad for a player.

In 2017 he went on the IL on June 6th and missed the rest of the season with a bone bruise on his knee. He played all of 50 games that season.

2018 he got into a career high 103 games, but hit just .232/.275/.381 with 11 home runs. And his defense wasn’t what it once was, likely because of all the knee problems. I used to say that he could fall out of bed and hit .300 but it seemed like he lost that ability.

This year he didn’t play at all, recovering from yet another knee surgery.

Career as a Blue Jay he hit .274/.314/.437 with 35 home runs in 316 games over 4 seasons. Baseball Reference has him at 6.5 WAR.

I’d never tell a player to give up on his baseball career. I think only the player can decide that it is time to give it up. I think the odds are against him. I’m hoping some team gives him a shot, I’d imagine on a minor league contract and that he gets past the injury troubles. He turns 29 in February, so the clock is ticking on him.

I can only hope the best for him.