clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Friday Bantering

Tampa Bay Rays v Toronto Blue Jays
The picture has nothing to do with the post, I just like it.
Photo by Mark Blinch/Getty Images

Out here, in what has been the frozen north for the past few weeks, we are getting a nice day and I’m going to go out and enjoy it.

After talking about Doc’s death yesterday, I am having a Halladay day, I have my Halladay Hall of Fame socks and my old Halladay (in the awful black) jersey on.

And there is nothing I want to write about.

It is Darwin Barney’s birthday. He turns 34 today.

Barney was a Blue Jay for three seasons, well 2 and a bit seasons. We picked up Barney in trade from the Dodgers, sending catcher Jack Murphy to sunny California, September 13th, 2015. He got into 15 September games, hitting .304/.333/.609. Smart to make a good first impression.

He was a free agent after the season and signed with the Jays. In 2016 he hit .369/.322/.373 in 104 games. He played 7 playoff games, and had just 1 hits in 15 at bats.

In 2017 he hit .232/.272/.327 in 129 games.

He was a very likeable player (utility players tend to be likeable, when you hit like Darwin does, if you aren’t likeable, you won’t be making an MLB salary). Like a few guys over the years, I liked him, but he played too much. He shouldn’t have played 233 games over two seasons, but we had a number of injuries and he was pretty good defensively.

Use the comment thread to discussion anything you’d like.