Matt Shoemaker made his first start of the spring, going 2 innings. He allowed just 1 hit, but it was a home run and he had a strikeout. Not a bad first outing.
- Sam Gaviglio: 2 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk and 1 strikeout. No runs.
- Thomas Pannone: 1 inning, 1 strikeout. Nice quick inning.
- Yennsy Diaz: 1 inning, gave up 2 hits and a walk. He was helped by Dwight Smith throwing out a runner at the plate. Had a strikeout.
- Corey Copping: 1 inning, 1 k.
- Elvis Luciano: 1 inning, 1 hit, 2 k. A nice inning. Wilner made it sound like a play should have been made on the ball. He now has 2 scoreless spring innings. Looking good so far.
- Zach Jackson: 1 inning, walk, k.
Kendrys Morales was the offensive star. He drove in both runs, going 2 for 3 with a double.
- Dalton Pompey: 0 for 3, k. Wilner said he made both ground outs close at first, but I’m wondering if he’s pulling for Dalton too.
- Kevin Pillar: 1 for 3, 2 k.
- Justin Smoak: 1 for 3, k.
- Teoscar Hernandez: 0 for 1, 2 walks.
- Lourdes Gurriel: 0 for 2, k.
- Brandon Drury: 2 for 3, infield single and a hard hit single. Stole a base.
- Freddy Galvis: 0 for 2, walk, k.
- Luke Maile: 0 for 3
- Anthony Alford: 0 for 2, k. Hit a fly ball to the wall, but caught.
- Jonathan Davis: 1 for 1, walk.
- Rowdy Tellez: 1 for 2. Single off the wall that the left fielder should have caught. Wasn’t a double because Davis, on first, thought it would be caught.
- Dwight Smith: 0 for 2. Made the throw to the plate to get an out.
- Bo Bichette: 0 for 2, k.
- Cavan Biggio: 0 for 1.
- Santiago Espinal: Walk.
- Richard Urena: 0 for 1.
- Patrick Cantwell: 0 for 1.
I thought Wilner seemed bored. If you go through the game thread you’ll see a number of mentions of mistakes he made. He might not have had as good a view of the strike zone as normal, might have been off line of the plate.
Not that it really matters, but I’m glad we got a win finally. Jays are 1-3 onthe spring.