The Jays get into the double digits for the second day in a row. And the game before that they scored 9. The bats are doing great.
And the pitching was pretty good today too.
Clayton Richard started and his first two innings went very well, no hits, just one hit batter and 3 strikeouts.
His third inning didn’t go as well, he started it off with a walk. A fly out and a hard hit line out followed. But 4 straight singles scored 2. To to be fair, 2 of the singles were infield singles. He came out of the game with 2 out and the bases loaded. Corey Copping came in and got the last out with a strikeout. It was the only inning the Rays would get any hits.
In all, Richard went 2.2, allowed 4 hits (all singles, two infield singles, 1 walk with 3 strikeouts. Add in the 2 scoreless innings from his last appearance, he has a 3.86 ERA this spring.
- John Axford: 1 inning, 3 strikeouts. I think he wants to make the team.
- Thomas Pannone: 2 innings, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts.
- Hector Perez: 2 clean innings, 1 k.
- Yannsy Diaz: 1 inning, 1 k.
On the hitting side had two 5-run innings. We were helped out by some bad Rays defense.
- Billy McKinney: 1 for 2, walk. .250. He’s had 5 walks this spring, taking the role of leadoff hitter to heart.
- Lourdes Gurriel: 1 for 2, double, walk. .429.
- Teoscar Hernandez: 2 for 3, 4 RBI. .529. He’s been having some luck on balls in play, but he’s having a great spring.
- Justin Smoak: 1 for 2, walk, k. .250.
- Brandon Drury: 1 for 3, k. .316. He had a slow start to his spring but has been very good of late.
- Kevin Pillar: 1 for 3, home run. .167. He’s had 3 walks and 4 hits this spring.
- Eric Sogard: 1 for 3, 2 walks, k. .125.
- Luke Maile: 0 for 2, walk. .067.
- Anthony Alford: 0 for 2, k. .231.
- Bo Bichette: 0 for 2, 2 k. .286.
- Jonathan Davis: 0 for 2, k. .214.
- Riley Adams: 0 for 2, 2 k. .000.
- Andy Burns: 1 for 2, k. .500.
- Santiago Espinal: 1 for 2. .200.
- Reese McGuire: 2 for 2, double. .222.
- Forrest Wall: 0 for 2, k. .000.
The Jays are now 5-6-1. Tomorrow they play split-squad games.