A series win, yay. This scoring stuff is fun.
The name of the game was homers today. We had 3 of them:
- Randal Grichuk had a solo shot in the first.
- Justin Smoak had a 2-run homer in the 4th. We scored 3 more than inning, off a bases loaded double by Eric Sogard.
- Teoscar Hernandez hit his second of the series (and season) in the 8th, a solo homer.
We had 9 hits total. Sogard and Grichuk had 2 each. Everyone else had 1 hit other than Freddy Galvis (who had a very nice play in the field and Brandon Drury (who did get a walk). Sogard has been a surprise, 4 hits in his first 8 at bats since coming up from Buffalo.
In the pitching side, Clay Buchholz went 4.2, allowed 6 hits, 3 earned, 3 walks with 4 strikeouts. He came out of the game in the 5th inning with 2 on and 2 out, but Thomas Pannone came in and stranded the runners.
Clay had one bad inning, he gave up 3 runs in the second inning. After a leadoff homer, he got a strikeout, then gave up a walk, single, an RBI single, and a ground ball that scored one.
The bullpen did the job. Pannone came out of the game after getting just the 1 out in the 5th. I wasn’t thrilled, I’d have liked him to get us at least one more inning. Pulling him quick left 4 innings of relief work to go. I don’t like the idea of using a bunch of relievers in a game, it leaves you short in the future.
- Ryan Tepera pitched a very nice 6th inning, getting 1 strikeout. He looked really good in his first appearance of the season.
- Tim Mayza pitched a quick 7th and started the 8th but gave up a leadoff homer to Edie Rosario, and then came out of the game.
- Joe Biagini came in and pitched the 8th, getting a strikeout.
- Ken Giles gave up a leadoff single in the 9th, and gave up a deep fly that wasn’t foul by too much, but he got 2 strikeouts and his 6th save of the season.
Jays of the Day: Sogard (.229 WPA), Smoak (.156), Grichuk (.121).
Suckage: Buchholz (-.113) and Galvis had the number too (-.094, but he had that nice play on defense).
So after Grichuk’s twitter complaint about enjoying home runs, when he hit his in the first inning, he sprinted around the bases and the bench celebration was very subdued. Kind of funny. I don’t see anything wrong with enjoying it when you do something good on the field. There are lot of bad moments in life.
We had 303 comments in the GameThread. I led us to victory.