Sunday Bantering: Injury Updates

New, 61 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Minnesota Twins Brad Rempel-USA TODAY Sports

There were some injury updates yesterday:

  • Clay Buchholz has a grade 2 strain of his ‘teres major’ (via Gregor Chisholm) in his upper back and around his right shoulder. Apparently grade 2 means there is a tear. Grade 3 would be a complete rupture. Clay is off to see Dr. James Andrews which is generally a sign that a player will be out a long time.
  • Devon Travis had a setback. He had more soreness in his knee. Gregor says he is going to get PRP injections (platelet-rich plasma). It isn’t looking good for Travis. I really feel bad for him. It doesn’t sound like he’ll be doing any ‘baseball activities’ for a while.
  • Bo Bichette had his hand looked at, and they say it is healing well. He is going to start a ‘hitting progression’ soon, but it will be a while before he gets into games.
  • David Phelps has been throwing batting practice. He should start a rehab assignment soon.
  • Dalton Pompey is ‘running, throwing and hitting’ but is still a little ways from playing any baseball.

Clayton Richard got his first game action of the year yesterday, starting for the Bisons. He went 3.1 innings, didn’t give up a hit, had 2 walks and 4 strikeouts.

With the state of our rotation, I’m expecting he’ll be up soon, but likely one more rehab start will happen first, I think. But if he can go 3.1 innings now, that’s better than half our rotation.

Anthony Alford has been hitting a little better of late. He has a .250/.333/.429 line with 2 home runs, 6 walks and 19 strikeouts in 56 May at bats. It is good to see, we could really use an outfielder. He has a 7 game hitting streak going. I’m at the point that I’d like them to bring him to Toronto, give him 400 at bats and just see what happens. It isn’t like he’ll be much worse than anyone else.

Speaking of outfielders, Teoscar Hernandez hit a home run in his first game in Buffalo, but that’s his only hit in his first 8 at bats.

Ben Revere is in Buffalo too, along with a dozen other outfielders. He’s hitting .286/.286/.371 with 1 steal. I’ll admit I don’t see the point. I would much rather bring up Biggio or Gurriel for to fill in the holes in the outfield. Revere isn’t going to be around when we plan to be good, so why give him at bats that we could let one or two of the young guys bit in the majors.

Cavan Biggio is hitting .310/.436/.516 with 6 home runs. He hasn’t been as hot in May as he was in April. May he’s hitting .241/.349/.370 with 1 home run.

Lourdes Gurriel is hitting .286/.315/.505 with 4 home runs since going back down to Buffalo. May hasn’t been kind to him, hitting .196/.220/.286 in 14 games in May.