That was a mess.
The good moments:
- Lourdes Gurriel hit his second homer in two games back.
- Justin Smoak homered.
- Jonathan Davis made a really nice catch at the wall.
- Davis singled in the 8th and went to second when Josh Naylor bobbled the ball. Good baserunning and he scored on a single from Freddy Galvis.
- And Luke Maile pitched a scoreless 9th.
- And, well, the game ended.
Everything. The pitching was dreadful:
- Edwin Jackson started and was hit hard and often. He fought his way through 4 inning. Allowed 7 hit, 7 earned, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts and 3 home runs. He didn’t fool anyone.
- Thomas Pannone followed and was worse. After loading the bases on 3 straight singles, he walked the next 2 and hit the one after to bring home three runs. I’m imagining that he’ll be sent back down after the game to bring up a fresh arm.
- Derek Law followed and gave up a 2-run homer.
- Zac Rosscup, managed not to give up an earned run, but allowed 2 unearned. He gave up 2 hits and 2 walks, and had 2 strikeouts. Vlad Jr.’s error allowed the 2 runs to score. Whoops, scratch that, the official scorer changed the error to a hit, so Zac’s two runs became earned.
- Sam Gaviglio, who has been one of our best relievers, got hit very hard. 6 hits, 3 of them homers, 5 earned, 1 walk, while getting just 2 outs. Sam came into the game with a 2.36 ERA and left with a 3.60 ERA.
- Joe Biagini got the last out of the 8th inning.
- Luke Maile pitched the 9th. He got a strikeout, give up an infield single, then hit a batter. A pop out and a strikeout ended the inning. He was helped along by an umpire who called any pitch he threw a strike, unless it bounced.
Canadians did well for the Padres:
Cal Quantrill pitched a very nice game for the Padres, going 6 innings, allowing 2 hits, 3 earned, 2 walks with 9 strikeouts.
Josh Naylor went 3 for 6.
Tomorrow Aaron Sanchez is going to have to pitch deep into the game.
No Jays of the Day. Lourdes had the high mark at .076. Let’s give one to Sutton Smoak for throwing out the first pitch.
Suckage: Jackson had the number (-.371). But all the pitchers earned one, except for Biagini and Maile.
We had an amazing 606 comments in the GameThread. DangMeToHeck led us to defeat.