Edwin Jackson gets shelled again, Jays lose

New, comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Colorado Rockies Isaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 6 Rockies 13

I guess we should have known in the top of the first inning that it wasn’t going to be our day, when our first two batters reached on walks and we didn’t score.

If we didn’t know then, we found out in the bottom of the first inning when Edwin Jackson gave up 4 runs. Edwin pitched 2.1 innings and gave up 10 earned runs. He gave up 10 hits (just 1 home run), 3 walks with 4 strikeouts. He struck out the side in first, around those 4 runs.

He was throwing hard, we saw 94 MPH on several of his pitches, but he wasn’t fooling anyone. Like all of his starts, he was getting hit hard and often.

It is possible that this was his last start for us. Our bullpen pitched 5.2 today, so we are going to need some help in the pen the rest of the weekend. I think the easiest thing would be to DFA Jackson and add someone.

Elvis Luciano looked better than Jackson. He went 2.2, allowed just 3 hits, 1 earned and 1 walk. Cliff Floyd, doing Joe Siddal’s job tonight, suggested he should start, but I can’t see it.

Sam Gaviglio pitched 1 good inning and 1 bad inning. In all 2 hits, 2 earned, 2 strikeouts and 1 home run.

Derek Law pitched the 9th. We really should have gone with Maile.

Offensively? Well, when we didn’t score after the leadoff walks in the first, I thought we might not score much.

We got 2 runs in the second inning. Randal Grichuk led off with his 100th MLB home run. And we got the other one through a Cavan Biggio single, Jonathan Davis walk, a wild pitch and a ground out.

We didn’t score again until the 8th inning. Vlad Guerrero Jr. led off with a home run (his 6th). After that Brandon Drury singled, Lourdes Gurriel doubled off the left field wall. Grichuck hit a sac fly. Biggio singled again, Davis walked to load the bases. Then Luke Maile walked to bring in a run and Eric Sogard hit a sac fly.

We had 11 hits in all. Three from Guerrero. Two from Biggio.

Jonathan Davis made a terrific catch in CF:

That and the homers from Vlad’s (436 feet to dead center) and Grichuk were the bright moments from the game. Oh, Cavan had a good day with the bat too. Gurriel had an extra base hit in his 7th straight game and started a nice relay to get an out at the plate in the 5th inning to save us a run.

Jays of the Day: Let’s give one to Vlad for the homer and Davis for the catch.

Suckage: Jackson (-.466 WPA) and Rowdy Tellez (-.164). Most of Tellez number came from hitting into a double play in the first inning with 2 on base. Tellez slowed when he got near the base at first, Buck and Pat thought he tweaked something, but I was thinking that he just slowed when the ball hit the first baseman’s glove on the double play. He did come out of the game, in a double switch, when Jackson was pulled, but I think that was just so Elvis didn’t have to lead off the next inning.

We had 652 comments in the GameThread, a rather amazing number for a game that was over early. Delv213 led us to utter defeat.

# Commenter # Comments
1 delv213 66
2 lalalaprise 64
3 Tom Dakers 50