Comeback falls short, Jays lose again

New, comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Colorado Rockies Troy Babbitt-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 2 Rockies 4

If you skip the first inning, Marcus Stroman had a very good start. Unfortunately they decided to count the first inning.

In the first, after getting the leadoff batter out, Marcus gave up 3 consecutive singles and then a Daniel Murphy double and we were down 3-0. Jonathan Davis almost made a nice diving catch on the double, but almost doesn’t count.

Marcus would throw 6 more innings, allowing just three more hits. In the 5th inning Raimel Tapia hit a line drive to center, which Davis booted for an error and then Cavan Biggio threw the relay wide of third base for another error, with allowed Tapia to score. Marcus was slow getting over to back up third base, which cost him when Biggio’s throw went wide.

In all Stroman went 7 innings, allowed 7 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned, no walks and 2 strikeouts. We needed a pitcher to go deep into a game and Marcus did that.

Ken Giles pitched a nice neat 8th inning.

On offense we next to nothing. 4 hits and 3 walks. The hits were an infield single for Lourdes Gurriel (keeping his hitting streak going, now up to 8 games), Vladimir Guerrero doubled, Justin Smoak’s 9th inning home run and with 2 outs in the 9th Danny Jansen doubled to bring the tying run to the plate (after Biggio reached on an error). Unfortunately pinch-hitter Rowdy Tellez ground out to end the game.

Tellez was robbed on a 2-1 strike call on a ball that looked to be off the plate. After that he swung at a pitch below the strike zone, for the ground out. One bad call can really hurt an at bat. 3-1 would have been so much better than 2-2.

Our best chance to score (before the home run) came in the 2nd inning. Lourdes led off with his single, an out later Biggio walked. They pulled off a double steal, giving us runners on second and third with 1 out. But Danny Jansen and Davis each struck out. We really could have used a run or two there.

About the only other thing of note was that Rockies starter Joe Gray left the game with 2 out in the 7th with an apparent blister.

No Jay of the Day today. I’m tempted to give one to Biggio for the 2 walks and hustling to reason on an error in the 9th, but there was that throwing error.

Suckage: Stroman had the number (-.105 WPA). And I’m going to give one to Davis (-.082 plus the error in the outfield that helped the Rockies get their 4th run).

We had 260 comments in the late night GameThread. Beliarius led us to yet another loss.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Belisarius 36
2 lalalaprise 33
3 Alan F. 29