Who’s Hot, Who’s Cold: Blue Jays Pitchers

New, 39 comments

A quick look at how our pitchers did over the last two weeks. Quicker look, Not good.

Toronto Blue Jays v Colorado Rockies Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images

We’ve had another bad couple of weeks of baseball.

The team is 2-9 over their last 11 games.

The pitchers had a 5.79 ERA.

Hot

Ken Giles: 3 games, 0.00 ERA, 1 save. In 3.1, batters hit .231/.333/.308 with 2 walks and 8 strikeouts.

He’s been great but hasn’t had enough work. He hasn’t had enough work even to show other teams that he’s worth in a trade. But then, the upside is his arm will be good and fresh.

Joe Biagini: 3 games, 2.08 ERA, 1 hold. In 4.1, batters hit .214/.214/.429 with 1 home run, 0 walks and 6 strikeouts.

Another who had been over worked and now isn’t pitching enough. I am at the point of wishing we kept him in the rotation, so we didn’t have to watch Edwin every 5 days. Even if Joe didn’t figure things out, he would have been better than Jackson. He’s doing great as a reliever and I’d imagine he’ll be getting the closing job at some point.

Daniel Hudson: 2 games, 0.00 ERA, 1 hold. In 2 innings batters hit .200/.273/.300 with 1 walks and 3 strikeouts.

Been good, isn’t pitching enough. I don’t know why we can’t use him in blowouts some. He’s been surprisingly good this season, batters are hitting .219 against him so far. With Tepera being hurt it’s been good to have Daniel.

Tim Mayza: 2 games, 0.00 ERA. In 2.0 batters hit .143/.143/.143 with 0 walks and 1 strikeout.

He was leading the league in appearances earlier in the season but was on the IL and has fallen down the leaders board.

Thomas Pannone: 5 games, 2.00 ERA, 1 win. In 9 innings, batters have hit .161/.316/.387 with 2 homers, 7 walks and 7 strikeouts.

He’s getting a fair bit of work and he’s been doing good. Much better than I thought he was doing. He gets used in blowouts, but also in games that we are in. He threw 3.2 innings against the Yankees last week. It might be because he’s pitching in blowouts, but he’s been good.

Elvis Luciano: 4 games, 2.35 ERA. In 7.2 innings, batters hit .222/.323/.370 with 1 home run, 4 walks and 5 strikeouts.

Again, pitching in blowouts, but he’s doing a very good job. On the season 22 walks and 22 strikeouts, but he has flashes of really good moments. He’s been doing better than I expected when we grabbed him. I didn’t think he’d still be here by now. Watching him develop will be interesting.

Cold

Edwin Jackson: 2 starts, 0-2, 19.06 ERA. In 5.2 innings batters hit .457/.525/.914 with 3 home runs, 5 walks and 7 strikeouts.

The ERA is a little misleading, as he gave up 4 unearned runs too. I don’t understand what is going on with him. He’s throwing as hard as ever, but half the time the ball comes rocketing back the opposite way even faster. But he’s all we have.

Clayton Richard: 3 starts, 0-2, 8.74 ERA. In 11.1 innings batters hit .304/.411/.609 with 3 homers, 9 walks and 9 strikeouts.

I think the ‘he’s all we have’ line fits here too. Two of the three starts were ok. The other one was awful. His starts seem to start off well and then fall apart after 3 innings.

Marcus Stroman: 2 starts, 0-2, 6.39 ERA. In 12.2 innings batters hit .280/.308/.460 with 2 homers, 2 walks and 6 strikeouts.

One start was ok, 3 earned in 7 innings, one wasn’t ok 6 earned in 5.2. He had a string of 4 really good starts before that, so I’m figuring he’ll right himself again soon. Everyone should be allowed some down time. He’s not walking people, but he’s not getting strikeouts either. He’s not keeping the ball on the ground as much as normal either.

Aaron Sanchez: 2 starts, 0-2, 6.75 ERA. In 12 innings batters hit .277/.364/.468 with 2 home runs, 7 walks and 5 strikeouts.

Had a couple of bad starts in a row, after coming out of a game early with the nail avulsion which had me googling the term. He’s had good and bad starts this year. He’s made it through 6 innings 7 of 14 starts. And through 5 innings 10 of 14. But he’s been inconsistent. But still has the second best era (4.25) among our starters and has thrown the second most innings.

Trent Thornton: 2 starts, 0-0, 6.52 ERA. In 9.2 innings, batters hit .293/.383/.415 with 1 home run, 6 walks and 9 strikeouts.

Thornton has been much better than we could have hoped this year. He’s going to have ups and downs. It seems like pitching good or bad is contagious...one guy starts doing bad, the next guy follows and it becomes a slide. We need someone to pitch a good game and push us back towards a string of good starts.

Derek Law: 5 games, 5.68 ERA. IN 6.1 innings batters have hit .321/.387/.464 with 1 homer, 3 walks and 4 strikeouts.

Another one getting a lot of work because of the blowouts. He had one ‘meltdown’ appearance, his other appearances haven’t been bad. He seems to be a 1 inning reliever who has been forced to throw more than an inning a fair bit.

Inbetween

Sam Gaviglio: 3 games, 4.50 ERA, 1 win. In 6 innings he’s allowed 5 hits, 2 homers, 1 walk and 6 strikeouts.

Sam was over worked earlier in the season and now, well, he’s not been over worked. It would be nice if we could stay a little closer in games so that Sam and Ken could be used more.

On the IL

Matt Shoemaker: Out for the season.

Clay Buchholz: I don’t know if he is out for the season or not, but I doubt he’ll be back any time soon.

Ryan Tepera: Had bone spurs removed from his elbow. It he won’t be back until late July or August.

Ryan Borucki: Getting closer, he’s throwing. All going well, he’ll be pitching in rehab games soon. So maybe we could see him early July?

David Phelps: Threw an inning in Buffalo yesterday. Clean with a strikeout. I’m not sure if they will want him to throw another there or if they will bring him straight up. Maybe they will want him to throw 2 days in a row. Of course, when I post this they will announce what they are doing two minutes later.

Jacob Waguespack: Has a right shoulder strain. No word on how long he’ll be out.