Who’s Hot, Who’s Cold: Blue Jays Batters

New, 14 comments

Taking a look at the Jays offense over the last two weeks.

Boston Red Sox v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

The Blue Jays were 2-9 over the past 2 weeks.

Our batters have averaged 3.1 runs per game, over the two weeks, which isn’t cutting it. The pitching has been bad and the bats haven’t been any worse. As a team, over the two weeks, we’ve hit .222/.287/.377.

Hot

Eric Sogard: Played in 10 games, starting 7. Hit .303/.314/.455 with 1 home run, 1 walk and 9 strikeouts.

I’d like him to get on base more, but he had a good couple of weeks. Played mostly second base. DHed once (the first time he’s started a game at DH in his career). I have a hard time with figuring out they should do with Eric. I mean, we know he isn’t going to continue to hit like he has this year, but while he is hitting like this maybe we should continue the ride. Or maybe we should give at his at bats to the younger guys who could be around for the rebuild.

Vladimir Guerrero Jr.: Played in 10 games, starting 9. Hit .282/.317/.513 with 2 home runs, 2 walks and 9 strikeouts.

DHed one game. The homer against the Yankees was enough for me to get into the hot part. He’s had more strikeouts than we expected. He’s likely still wanting to showoff for us. And he’s had more than his share of bad calls. But you can see that he’s going to be very good. His defense has been ok. There is some good plays, and he has a great arm. And there are some less than good plays. I still think he’s going end up moving off third at some point, but that’s the future.

Brandon Drury: Played in 8 games, starting 7. Hit .280/.345/.440 with 1 home run, 3 walks and 6 strikeouts.

If he could hit like this all the time, life would be ok. He started 3 games at third, 2 at short, 1 in right and 1 in left. Playing all over the place. I think he’s a useful player to have around. It’s likely good to get him at bats and see what we have.

Justin Smoak: Started 9 games. Hit .303/.378/.394 with 1 home run, 4 walks and 6 strikeouts.

Not really “hot” but lukewarm might be more like it. He played first 8 times and 1 at DH. It would be good for him to go on a hot streak and drive his trade value up. Of course, if Rowdy doesn’t start hitting, it will be harder to trade him.

Lourdes Gurriel: Played 11 games, starting 10. Hit .262/.311/.524 with 3 doubles, 1 triple, 2 homers, 2 walks and 11 strikeouts.

He’s looked good in left field. There will be mistakes, but he’s looking good so far. I’d like the outfielders to play so deep. I’m glad they have found a position for him and I’m hoping he’ll stay there for the season.

Teoscar Hernandez: Started 5 games. Hit .250/.250/.550 with 3 doubles, 1 homer, 1 steal, 0 walks and 6 strikeouts.

Very vaguely on the hot side. I’d like him to walk occasionally, but it has been a pretty good five games. His first game back was great. He’s always going to run hot and cold. I’m wondering how long of a leash Teoscar has, with Anthony Alford hitting well in Buffalo.

Luke Maile: Played 5 games, starting 4. Hit .308/.357/.308 with 1 walk and 3 strikeouts.

That’s a very good hitting line for Luke in a small sample.

Cold

Freddy Galvis: Started 9 games. Hit .114/.139/.229 with 1 homer, 1 walks and 8 strikeouts.

He’s brought his season average down to .241/.276/.412, after such a great start to the season. I wish Bo didn’t get hurt.

Rowdy Tellez: Played in 8 games, starting 6. Hit .125/.160/.167 with 1 double, 1 walks and 2 strikeouts.

He’s had a tough time of it. And he hasn’t been playing all that much. I would like him to play everyday or go to Buffalo and play everyday. I don’t think sitting is helping, but then maybe he’s working with the coaches on something.

Danny Jansen: Started 7 games. Hit .190/.370/.286 with 2 doubles, 6 walks and 2 strikeouts.

It is a much better level of cold than he has been. Getting on base 37% of the time is good. the .286 slugging isn’t so good. At least this is a good sign. The ship might be turning slowly, but perhaps it is turning. I’m hoping the next couple of weeks go well.

Randal Grichuk: Started all 11 games. Hit .186/.234/.465 with 4 home run, 2 walks and 8 strikeouts.

4 singles and 4 home runs. Started 1 game at DH, 2 games at CF. I’d like him to do more than hit home runs, but I guess if you are only going to do one thing it should be home runs. He’s always going to have bad streaks. This one cold streak has gone on too long.

Cavan Biggio: Played in 9 games, starting 8. Hit .120/.333/.120 with 2 steals, 8 walks and 8 strikeouts.

Started 5 games at second, 2 in right field and 1 at first base. He’s getting on base. i thought he’s look decent at second base.

Also Played

Jonathan Davis: Played in 5 games, starting 4. Hit .200/.333/.200 with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts.

I kind of think they quit on him too quick, but I guess they planned on Teoscar taking the job.