clock menu more-arrow no yes
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Baltimore Orioles
Rushing off the field to watch the Raptors
Evan Habeeb-USA TODAY Sports

Such a historic, inspiring and well fought series win yesterday...and im not talking about the Raptors. (Still congrats to them anyway!)

The Jays win over the OrioLOLes is still a win and should be celebrated- after all we reached a season high in runs and hits. It was clearly a good time to play them; after scoring eight runs during a five-game skid, Toronto tallied 20 in the final two games of the series.

It was a sight to behold for Marcus Stroman, who had received barely a run of support in half of his previous 14 starts. His total backing was 2.87 runs per nine innings, lowest in the big leagues.

Talking of Stroman, here is why everyone should want him

The Jays are still searching for roster stability following the wins over the Orioles.

And Teoscar Hernandez is rekindling his glove affair in centre field.

Meanwhile Alek Manoah our first-round pick (11th overall) in last week’s draft announced via Twitter on Thursday afternoon that he is officially a Blue Jay. Manoah received a singing bonus of $4,547,500 and the 6-foot-6, 260-pound right hander is expected to begin his professional career with the Vancouver Canadians of the Northwest League.

Astros up next

Up next we have the equally injured Astros. Here’s a somewhat alarming list of the respective club injuries- (look how many broken pitchers we have!)

Astros: Joe Smith: 10-day IL (achilles), Collin McHugh: 10-day IL (elbow), Lance McCullers Jr.: 60-day IL (elbow), George Springer: 10-day IL (hamstring), Aledmys Diaz: 10-day IL (hamstring), Carlos Correa: 10-day IL (rib), Jose Altuve: 10-day IL (hamstring), Max Stassi: 10-day IL (knee).

Blue Jays: Jacob Waguespack: 10-day IL (shoulder), Ryan Tepera: 60-day IL (elbow), Matt Shoemaker: 60-day IL (knee), David Phelps: 60-day IL (elbow), Elvis Luciano: 10-day IL (elbow), Ken Giles: 10-day IL (elbow), Clay Buchholz: 60-day IL (shoulder), Ryan Borucki: 60-day IL (elbow), Dalton Pompey: 60-day IL (concussion), Devon Travis: 60-day IL (knee).

Ahead of the series. lets compare the teams:

  • The Astros are 25-10 in home games.
  • The Blue Jays are 13-21 on the road.
  • Our team on-base percentage of .285 is last in the American League.
  • In the last 10 games, the Astros are 7-3, .221 batting average, 4.33 ERA, outscored by one run.
  • The Jays? 3-7, .209 batting average, 5.38 ERA, outscored by 23 runs.

I don’t feel this series will go well...

MLB bits

The Padres are looking to offload, well, everyone it seems.

Shohei Ohtani becomes the first Japanese MLB player to hit for the cycle.

Ohtani was lights out vs the Rays at the Trop, which seems only fitting as this happened:

And to end

Hat tip to the Raptors for their NBA title: