clock menu more-arrow no yes
Toronto Blue Jays v Houston Astros Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images

Blue Jays 2 Astros 7

Another game of not enough offense and poor pitching.

The good parts:

  • Lourdes Gurriel threw out two Astros trying for second on hits. He seems to have a very good arm in left field. I’d imagine teams will start being more careful soon.
  • Teoscar Hernandez went first to third on a wild pitch. He’s been using his legs more on the bases since coming back from Buffalo. And he took 2 walks today. And he stole a base.
  • Jordan Romano pitched his second perfect inning for the Jays. He had 1 strikeout. He’s looking great.

Beyond that, not much was good. We had 6 hits. 2 each from Eric Sogard and Freddy Galvis and 1 each from Cavan Biggio and Brandon Drury.

Framber Valdez, the Astros starter was very good, getting many ground balls (10 ground outs to 1 fly out) and 8 strikeouts.

On the pitching side. Well, Clayton Richard went 5 innings, so that’s good right? Ok, he wasn’t good, 5 innings, 7 hits, 5 earned, 2 walks, 1 k and 1 home run. And he had 3 or 4 pitches slip out of his hand and go a few feet wide (on the first base side) of the plate. He he a batter and had 2 wild pitches.

We had our first look at Nick Kingham, and it wasn’t good. He gave up a home run on his first pitch as a Blue Jay. Yordan Alvarez hit it a long long ways. In 2 innings, Kingham gave up 5 hits and 2 earned. He was helped out by one of Lourdes outfield assists and a couple of good plays on hard hit ground balls by Freddy Galvis. It could have been a lot worse.

Biggio had a ground ball go right under his glove for an error on a play he really needed to make, a ground ball at him where he could have thrown home to cut off an Astros run. I know he has played a lot of positions but I don’t buy that as an excuse. A ground ball is the same where ever you play.

Jay of the Day: Hernandez (.093).

Suckage: Richard (-.235), Tellez (-.094, for an 0 for 4, 3 k). Gurriel had the number too (-.094) but he made those two right throws.

We had 279 comments in Kate’s birthday GameThread. Link and I tied for the lead.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 35
2 Link Floyd 35
3 J-74 34