Blue Jays hit 5 home runs and beat the Astros

New, comments
Toronto Blue Jays v Houston Astros Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images

Blue Jays 12 Astros 0

So yet another Blue Jays game with lousy pitching and lousy hitting, but this time it was the other guys who couldn’t play the game.

The Jays just whaled on Astros’ pitching. And Trent Thornton gave up some base runners but he kept the Astros off the board. Trent gave up 6 hits and 3 walks, but seemed to bear down when he had runners on. He did seem to be tiring in the 7th, but he really didn’t want to come out when Charlie came to get him. I was all for pulling him, he was at 102 pitches and had been working hard. He had 7 strikeouts on the day. I was happy to have him come out with a good result.

Jordan Shafer came in and got the last out of the 7th, after giving up a walk to load the bases. He also pitched the 8th, his 3rd MLB appearance without giving up a run. He did walk 3 and had 1 k.

Joe Biagini finished off the shutout.

On offense, it was so good to see the bats working.

We had 14 hits, 5 of them home runs. We scored:

  • 2 in the first: Eric Sogard tripled to start off the game, he came in on Lourdes Gurriel’s sac fly. Rowdy Tellez followed with a crushed, 391 feet, home run.
  • 2 in the fifth: Sogard, leading off again, doubled and scored on Gurriel’s homer.
  • 7! in the sixth: Cavan Biggio singled, Randal Grichuk doubled and Freddy Galvis drove them in with a homer. An out later, Sogard walked, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. singled, Lourdes singled (getting his 4th RBI of the day). An out later Teoscar Hernandez homered and we were up by 11.
  • 1 in the 9th: Against position player Tyler White, pitching to save the Astros’ pen, Teoscar homered for the second time today.

Everyone, other than Danny Jansen, got in on the fun. Freddy Galvis had 3 hits. Sogard, Gurriel, Hernandez and Biggio had 2 each.

We saw some good defense. 3 double plays. One a nice one started by Rowdy who picked up a grounder, stepped on first, then started a run down between first and second (which, for a change didn’t include our pitcher). And Lourdes made a very nice catch in left field. He’s looking good out there.

Jays of the Day: Thornton (.250 WPA), Sogard (.168) and Gurriel (.127).

Suckage: Vlad (-.101). Hardly fair since he has the sore hand.

The Jays were .500 (3-3) on this road trip. It sure didn’t feel like a .500 road trip. They go home to face the Angels next.

We had 428 comments in the Father’s Day GameThread. I led us to victory.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 81
2 barraqudie 73
3 Alan F. 53
4 Belisarius 38
5 gammaDraconis 35
6 Minor Leaguer 33
7 lalalaprise 30
8 Kate Stanwick 13
9 bullgul 10

Off-Topic, but I’m riding in the MS Ride next weekend and my team needs a few more dollars raised to get a pretty nice prize, so, if you have some money just waiting for a good cause, go here. Thank you.