Rot in hell for all I care! Jays shutout 6-0

New, comments
MLB: Arizona Diamondbacks at Toronto Blue Jays Kevin Sousa-USA TODAY Sports

Diamondbacks 6 Blue Jays 0

For the second time in successive games the Jays fell down early and went down very quietly.

After a perfect first inning, Aaron Sanchez had a rough beginning to his start, struggling to find the plate and dealing with a lot of runner and high pitch counts. A one out walk came around to score in the 2nd inning.

He allowed two more in the 3rd, undermining his own cause after missing the bag on what should have been a 3-1 putout following a leadoff single. Both scored on a subsequent single and double, and a sac fly made it 5-0 after three innings and having thrown over 70 pitches.

After that he actually settled in pretty well, finishing six innings to give the bullpen a break, and allowing just a two out home run to Alex Avila in the 6th inning, a bit of a cheaphie that just got out down the line. His final line was 5 runs on 6 hits with 4 walks against 3 strikeouts.

Meanwhile, the bats were very quiet against Zack Greinke. After Vladimir Guerrero Jr. torched a single in the first, the next hit didn’t come until the 5th inning, with a Justin Smoak walk being the only other baserunner. They did start getting to him a little after that, Teoscar Hernandez working a walk immediately after, then Smoak singling in the 6th amid some hard contact.

The best chance to score came in the 7th, as Lourdes Gurriel Jr. smacked a triple to the left-centre gap leading off and ending Grienke’s outing. But Rowdy Tellez, Teoscar and Brandon Drury all struck out. That was basically it, other than another Vlad single.

Sam Gaviglio pitched a good two inning of relief, but Kevin Cron torched him for a home run leading off the 9th, Tim Mayza finishing the game. Gurriel also made a really nice catch in left on a fly ball down the line that he was shifted wayover on, nice range despite almost overrunning it.

We didn’t have a very busy thread today, since apparently most people found better ways to spent a beautiful Saturday. And that lawn won’t mow itself. The lackluster start was, however, apparently the last straw for one fan in our thread:

Rot in hell
4 nothing with One hit… as I’m soaked under the sun and burning in hell .. JESUS !!! Bring Sogard on … he is the one who’s the real lead off guy .. Why am I bothering anyway … rot in hell for all I care , I’m LEAVING

The full context or at least choice of forum for said grievances was not entirely clear, but nonetheless a hat tip to you sir (or madam, but probably sir) for inspiring the recap titles.

Jays of the Day: None. Vlad had the high number at +0.013 WPA, everyone else in the lineup was in negative territory.

Blew Jays: Sanchez (-0.222), and pretty the entire lineup but Vlad.

Tomorrow the Jays will look to stave off the sweep at 1 PM eastern against LHP Robbie Ray. For the Jays it’ll be Clayton Richard, who has put through three straight passable outings against AL East opponents and is what passes for at least a moral victory these days.