Game #64 Preview: Greinke vs Sanchez

New, comments

Diamondbacks (32-32) vs Blue Jays (23-40)

Arizona Diamondbacks v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

The Blue Jays will attempt to show some semblance of a Major League team today as they attempt to get back into the win column in game 2 of 3 against the Diamondbacks. Today’s game gets underway at 3:07 ET.

Blue Jays’ Starter

Aaron Sanchez will remarkably make his 14th start of the season, despite the finger troubles that have plagued him from throughout the season. Through 66 innings, he is 3-6 with a 3.95 ERA, although his FIP is a touch higher at 4.72. His biggest culprit, as it has so often in his career, has been issuing walks. He’s up to 36 this season (which just gave me a flashback to an absolutely unfair comparison, but Roy Halladay allowed 4 fewer walks in 200 more innings in 2003. I miss that man). Sanchez’s other numbers this season aren’t so bad, which is helping him to a very respectable ERA.

Diamondbacks’ Starter

The Diamondbacks will send out probable future Hall of Famer Zack Greinke, and I’m kinda happy we’re facing him in an AL park and he doesn’t have to bat. The 35 year old righty is off to a pretty good start to the season, currently sitting at a 6-2 record and 3.09 ERA over 13 starts. He’s averaging over 6 innings per start, and has a strikeout to walk ratio over 6 as well.

As Greinke has gotten older, he has learned how to pitch with diminished velocity. As Jim McLennan mention in the View From the Other Side article from yesterday, Greinke has thrown the most pitches below 70 mph this year. His fastball is averaging 89.5 mph, but his curveball, which historically sat in the low 70s, has a 69.3 mph average velocity so far. A nice big, slow hook.

Blue Jays’ Lineup

Cavan Biggio gets moved up to the top of the lineup, a place that he may have to get used to.

Diamondbacks’ Lineup

Eduardo Escobar, who left last night’s game early, is not in the lineup today.

Yesterday’s Heroes

Marcus Semien jacked a pair of home runs and chipped in a pair of singles while driving in 4 to earn himself the Monster Bat award. His bat helped the Athletics take down the Rangers 5-3. His last home run, a 2 run shot in the top of the 9th, was the deciding factor in the game and was worth .440 WPA on it’s own. So that gives Semien the double award take home, as he gets the WPA King title as well with a .668 mark.

Yonny Chirinos went 8 shutout innings, allowing just a pair of walks and hits, holding the Red Sox down in the Rays 5-1 win. Chirinos edges out Cole Hamels for Pitcher of the Day, as Hamels also had 8 shutout innings, but doing it against the Red Sox is a little more impressive than the Cardinals.

Find the Link

Find the link between Greinke and Yu Darvish

Stats are courtesy of Fangraphs