Baseball is a lot more fun when the Jays are scoring.
We scored early and often today. 2 runs in the first. 5 in the second. 1 in the third. 2 in the fourth. 1 in the sixth.
We had 18 hits and 4 walks, with 3 home runs mixed in. Freddy Galvis hit two homers and Teoscar Hernandez had the other one. Highlights:
- Galvis was 3 for 4, with the 2 home runs, both solo homers.
- Randal Grichuk was 4-5, all singles, and drove in 4 runs.
- Cavan Biggio, who is great to watch at the plate, was 3 for 5, with 4 RBI. He is so patient. I think he is rubbing off on his teammates.
- Teoscar Hernandez was 2 for 5, with the solo home run. He and Galvis went back-to-back in the 2nd inning.
- Vladimir Guerrero went 1 for 3, with 2 walks. He’s looking more relaxed at the plate. I can understand him pressing to hit homers, but it is nice to see him relax.
- Lourdes Gurriel was 3 for 4, with a walk.
Everyone in the lineup had at least 1 hit except for Danny Jansen (0 for 4).
Clayton Richard had a good start. 6 innings, 7 hits, 3 earned, 1 walk and 4 strikeouts. He had a bit of trouble in the fourth inning. With 1 on and 2 out in the inning, he allowed a walk and 3 straight singles, for 3 runs to try to let the Royals back into the game. But, other than that one inning, he was in control. I thought he should have been allowed another inning. He was at just 79 pitches and left with a 7 run lead.
David Phelps gave up a run in his inning of work. And Sam Gavilio was perfect pitching the last 2 innings of the game.
Jays of the Day: Could just give one to everyone but: Richard (.092 WPA), Vlad (.106), Grichuk (.105) and Biggio (.092). And let’s give one to Galvis for the 2 home runs.
No Suckage Jays. Gurriel had the low mark at -.030, since he only went 3 for 4, with a walk.
Go out and enjoy the Canada Day Celebrations in your area. I think we are going to go watch the fireworks tonight. And I’d like to get a bit of a run in. I’ve been lazy lately, I’m trying to turn it around in July.
We had 340 comments in the GameThread. I led us to victory.