Vladimir Guerrero hits 2 homers, Jays win

New, comments

Jays hit 5 home runs against the Orioles

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Baltimore Orioles
Bo knows flying.
Mitch Stringer-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 11 Orioles 2

That makes four wins in a row for our Jays.

Trent Thornton looked very good in his first start back from the IL. He went 6 innings, allowed 5 hits, no walks with 2 strikeouts. He only threw 87 pitches, but likely best not to push him in his first game back.

Buddy Boshers gave up a couple of hits in the seventh, but made it out of his inning without a run scoring, in his first appearance with the Jays.

Jason Adam (no s Tom, remember that) wasn’t as fortunate. He gave up a leadoff homer to Try Mancini in the eighth. He also gave up a fly ball to the track but it was caught.

Derek Law (also no s) pitched the ninth, hitting a batter but getting a nice double play to finish the game. .

On offense it was the home run show. We had homers from Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (a 2-run homer to dead center in the third inning), Randal Grichuk (a solo homer in the fifth) and Danny Jansen (a 3-run homer in the sixth). Vlad hit a second homer (solo shot) in the eighth. That one went 450 feet. Billy McKinney homered in the ninth (I’m thinking he’s going back to Buffalo tomorrow). We just needed a grand slam to complete the home run cycle.

We also had a couple of non-home run runs:

  • In the fourth: Freddy Galvis took a leadoff walk and was sent around the bases on singles by Jansen and Bo Bichette.
  • In the sixth: After Jansen’s homer, Cavan Biggio singled and Vlad drove him in with a double.

We had 14 hits. Jansen and Vlad had 3. For Vlad it was 2 homers and a double. We had two each from Biggio, Grichuk and Bichette. Bo had a single and a walk. Every Jay in the starting lineup reached base.

Vlad has brought his batting average up to .267 and he now has 13 home runs. I guess we can stop worrying about him (yeah, we weren’t worried).

Randal Grichuk fouled a ball off his own face (hit him right on the mouth) in the ninth inning. His mouth was bleeding bad. Derek Fisher took over his at bat down 0-2. When he struck out it went on Randal’s stats. If Randal broke teeth he might be out a few days.

I got a nice present during the game. I got an email from Earl Stroman thanking me for the post on his son:

Tom nice article on my son and we are going to miss Toronto. Wish you all the best of luck unless you are playing against Us lol. Thank you.

Earl Stroman

Jays of the Day: Thornton (.204 WPA), Vlad (.185) and Bichette (.104).

No Suckage Jays.

We had 570 comments in the GameThread. I led us to victory.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 75
2 Alan F. 74
3 Belisarius 69