Jays pitch a shutout, get 3 homers and beat the Rangers

New, comments
Texas Rangers v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images

Rangers 0 Blue Jays 3

After the 19 runs score yesterday, this game seemed pretty sedate. We only scored 3 runs. But then our pitching kept the Rangers off the board.

We had 6 hits today, but half of them were home runs. Randal Grichuk hit one out in the second inning, a nice way to celebrate his birthday. Teoscar Hernandez and Billy McKinney went back-to-back in the sixth.

Our other hits went to Vladimir Guerrero (who hustled out a double, with a nice slide to be safe at second) and Justin Smoak and Grichuk who each singled.

We got terrific pitching. I’m going to become a fan of the opener, if all games go this well.

  • Wilmer Font was our opener. He went 2 scoreless. He loaded the bases in the first inning, but that was just so we could make fun of Roughned Odor when he struck out to end the inning.
  • Thomas Pannone was great as the bulk pitcher. He went 4 innings, allowed just 2 hits, 2 walks with 3 strikeouts.
  • Tim Mayza allowed a hit and had 2 strikeouts in his inning of work.
  • Derek Law also allowed a hit and had 2 strikeouts. Law was not well liked earlier in the season, but he hasn’t allowed a run since July 18th. Since then he’s had 13.1 scoreless innings, holding batters to a .105/.261/.158 batting line. He’s been very good in the setup or closer role, depending on Ken Giles status.
  • Speaking of Giles, he pitched the ninth. He gave up a walk and got a strikeout, picking up his 16 save.

The best part of the game? Roughned Odor was 0 for 3 with 3 strikeouts and he made an error. Just the sort of night you want him to have. He’s batting a big .206 now.

We also enjoyed watching some great defense from our team. Bo Bichette made a terrific play on a very hard hit ground ball and then showed off a great arm. He’s also fun to watch at the plate, even if he doesn’t get a hit, he doesn’t get cheated. Vlad made a nice pickup and a throw to first on the run. And Hernandez made an excellent catch, going back and to his right, making a long run to catch the ball.

Tomorrow’s game is an early start. 12:30 eastern, which makes it a 10:30 start for me.

Jays of the Day: Pannone (.270 WPA), Font (.100), Grichuk (.128).

Suckage: McGuire (-.920 for an 0 for 3, though one of those three outs was hit hard to center, with Delino DeShields making a great catch before driving his head into the wall, he was lucky it wasn’t one of those scoreboard panels) and Drury (-.083, for an 0 for 3).

We had 482 comments in the GameThread. I led us to victory (mostly asking car questions).

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 72
2 westbromjayfan 46
3 radivel 45