Game #124 Preview: Allard vs Reid-Foley

New, comments

Rangers (59-60) vs Blue Jays (51-72)

Texas Rangers v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images

Rise and shine Blue Jays’ fans! We’re going for a sweep, and the game is an early one today. The series finale against the Rangers is set for 12:37 ET early this afternoon, so if you want to catch it, maybe consider also catching a cold or something. I know I did.

Blue Jays’ Starter

The Blue Jays will send Sean Reid-Foley out to the mound, making his 6th start of the season, and 4th consecutive as a permanent member of the rotation. SR-F has gotten very impressive results, currently 2-2 with a 2.36 ERA through 26.2 innings, although the FIP tells a different story. His 4.86 FIP has gotten there with a middling strikeout rate of just 7.76 per 9 innings, while his 5.40 walks per 9 innings is out of control. He has somehow only managed to allow only 3 home runs, which xFIP doesn’t expect to continue at such a low rate, giving him a 6.08 mark. So depending on what you want to go by, Reid-Foley has either been fantastic, below average, or downright awful.

Rangers’ Starter

The Rangers will go with trade deadline acquisition Kolby Allard. Allard came over from the Braves in a trade that sent towering relief pitcher Chris Martin the other way. It seems like a good move for the Rangers, sending the 33 year old journeyman reliever away at the deadline for a Major League ready starter with at least a little bit of prospect shine left to his name. Fangraphs gives him a FV of 40, falling in at number 23 on the Rangers prospect list. MLB.com is even higher on him, giving him a 50 FV and a number 16 ranking. He was a much higher regarded prospect from 2016-2018, entering those seasons as a unanimous top 100 prospect in the game.

Allard has pitched twice now in the Rangers organization, and has been a strikeout machine in that time. In 9.1 innings across 2 starts, one in AAA and one at the MLB level, he has struck out 15. That’s obviously a super small sample, but it is an uptick over anything he did throughout his Minor League career, where he struck out 431 over 471 innings. He doesn’t seem likely to continue to strike out well over a batter per inning, but it’s a nice start for him in the Rangers’ organization.

Blue Jays’ Lineup

The Jays’ lineup isn’t posted anywhere yet, but Baseball Savant seems to be the first place to have it. Right now it appears it will be

Bo Bichette SS
Cavan Biggio 2B
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. DH
Randal Grichuk RF
Teoscar Hernandez CF
Rowdy Tellez 1B
Brandon Drury 3B
Derek Fisher LF
Danny Jansen C

Rangers’ Lineup

There we go. Right on the hour it’s released at Baseball Savant

Shin-Soo Choo DH
Danny Santana 1B
Elvis Andrus SS
Willie Calhoun LF
Nomar Mazara RF
Rougned Odor 2B
Isiah Kiner-Falefa 3B
Delino DeShields CF
Jose Trevino C

Yesterday’s Heroes

Kyle Seager went 3-4 with 3 home runs and a walk, driving in 6 runs as he picks up the Monster Bat award. His Mariners took down the home town Tigers 11-6.

Marwin Gonzalez picked up a huge 3-run home run in the top of the 8th, turning a 5-4 deficit into a 7-5 lead. The home run was worth .610 WPA, launching him to the top of our WPA King leaderboard at .593. The Twins’ bullpen held on to that lead, giving them the win over the Brewers, which coupled with a Cleveland loss, moves the Twins back into first place.

Ivan Nova went the distance yesterday, striking out 3 and walking none while limiting the Astros to an unearned run on 4 hits to earn the Pitcher of the Day title. The White Sox won that game 4-1, but lost the other half of the double header 6-2.

Find the Link

Find the link between Kolby Allard and Charlie Vaughan.

Stats are courtesy of Fangraphs