Jays fail to get a sweep of the Rangers

New, comments
Texas Rangers v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images

Rangers 7 Blue Jays 3

It just wasn’t our day.

We did have moments of good fielding, which made the game more enjoyable to watch. But the pitching wasn’t good enough today. And the bats didn’t do much.

Sean Reid-Foley started and wasn’t terrible. He had several at bats go on way too long, which inflated his pitch count, and, I’m sure tired him. He just couldn’t get that out pitch when he needed it. When he left, after 3.1, he had only allowed 1 run, but had walked 2 to start the fourth inning, while getting just 1 out.

Unfortunately, Buddy Boshers gave up a double to score both base runners. Buddy faced 2 batters and got a strikeout to go with the double.

Zack Godley (sorry Zack, I had to look up your first name) pitched 2.1, giving up just 1 earned, off 2 hits and 2 walks with 2 strikeouts.

Neil Ramirez also had a tough time. 1.2, 3 hits (2 of them home runs), 2 earned and 3 strikeouts.

Justin Shafer pitched the last 1.1, giving up 2 walks but no runs.

On offense, we had just 6 hits.

Danny Jansen had 2. Bichette, Biggio, Grichuk and Tellez had 1 each.

We scored a run in the fourth. Grichuck led off with a triple, after a Teoscar Hernandez struckout and Rowdy Tellez was hit by pitch, Randal scored on Brandon Drury’s ground out.

And 2 in the sixth. Teoscar walked and Tellez singled. A wild pitch scored one and, with 2 outs, Danny Jansen singled home the other. Bo Bichette would double to put 2 on, and bringing the goal ahead run to the plate, but Cavan Biggio struck out to end the inning.

There was a pretty big strike zone at times today. We had 13 strikeouts on the day.

Bichette went 1 for 5, his average is now .365. He’s been on base 17 games in a row. Vlad went 0 for 5, dropping his average to .272.

We had a reminder not to touch balls in play. Biggio hit one down the right field line. A young fellow with a glove caught it, turning it into a ground rule double. Had it not been for the interference, it might have been a triple. Even if not, the Rangers fielding that would have been more exciting than a fan fielding it. I’m a fan of leaving the gloves at home, unless, you are playing in the game.

Best part of the game. Odor went 0 for 5, with a strikeout and made one official error and had trouble with a couple of other plays. I’m sorry, I should be above this, but I love seeing him fail. He’s hitting .204 now.

Tomorrow is an off-day. I’m sure the Jays can use it.

Jays of the Day: Jansen had a .086 WPA, but the Rangers stole 4 bases. Not that they were all Danny’s fault, but I can’t give him a JoD for that. So let’s go with no JoD.

Suckage: Boshers (-.115), Vlad (-.146) and Drury (-.093).

We had 352 comments in the weekday day game thread. DangYouToHeck led the way. Your hard work inspires us all.

# Commenter # Comments
1 DangYouToHeck 60
2 Tom Dakers 37
3 vinnievanloewen 32