That makes hit 5 wins in a row by the Jays.
When Buck told us that Orioles starter Aaron Brooks had a 24.55 ERA against the Jays, we thought we’d see a lot of runs.
We got a couple of runs in the first inning. A double by Lourdes Gurriel and singles by Vladmir Guerrero Jr. and Freddy Galvis put us up 2-0 early.
And Galvis hit a home run in the fourth.
But that would be all we would get in 5 innings against Brooks. His ERA dropped to 16.78 against us.
We would get a couple more against the Orioles bullpen. Brandon Drury had a solo homer in the sixth. In the ninth, Galvis singled, moved to second on a ground out and scored on Derek Fisher’s first hit as a Jay.
We had 8 hits. Galvis had 3 of them. No one else had more than one.
Bullpen day went pretty well. We used 6 pitchers and only allowed 2 runs.
- Wilmer Font started, going 2 good innings, allowing just 1 hit with 2 strikeouts.
- Nick Kingham, just back from Buffalo worked his way through 3 scoreless innings, allowing 2 hits, a walk and getting 2 strikeouts.
- Sam Gaviglio had some trouble. He went 1.2. His first inning went fine, but he gave up a 2-run homer to Chris Davis in the seventh inning.
- Tim Mayza finished the seventh off, giving up a double but getting the last out. When he started the eight off with a walk he was out and
- Derek Law came in. I’ll admit I was nervous with the tying run at the plate. But Law got 3 quick outs. Law pitched the ninth as well. He was helped out by a terrific catch by Teoscar Hernandez in center field. Well, terrific or lucky, but Teoscar grabbed the ball just before it hit the turf. He didn’t dive, he just leaned down and grabbed it just before it hit the ground. Law walked the next batter, but then got a easy fly out to left. Another walk brought the tying run to the plate. Fortunately, Law got Trey Mancini to ground out to Vlad. Law got his first save as a Blue Jay, the 6th save of his career. A two inning save. It wasn’t pretty but he got it done.
Jays of the Day: Law (.170 WPA), Kingham (.164), Font (.103) and Galvis (.155)
No Suckage Jays. Mayza had the low mark at -.062.
We had 408 comments in the GameThread. I led us to victory.