Who’s Hot, Who’s Cold: Blue Jays Batters

New, comments

Taking a look at the Jays offense over the last two weeks.

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Detroit Tigers Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports

Over the past two weeks the Blue Jays are 6-6. The batters are hitting .241/.305/.512. The batting and on base numbers are about their season average, but the slugging average is much much better.

Hot

Danny Jansen: Started 7 games. Hit .333/.385/.750 with 3 home runs, 7 RBI, 2 walks and 5 strikeouts.

Danny has been hitting the ball hard for the last couple of weeks. I didn’t realize how good he’s been. It is good to see, I hope he keeps it up. His defense has been good. He’s thrown out 31% of basestealers.

Justin Smoak: Started 9 games. Hit .258/.361/.484 with 1 home run, 4 RBI, 5 walks and 7 strikeouts.

Played first 7 games, DH twice. Seems to be pulling out of a long slump. We were told that Rowdy would play most of the time and then it seemed like the team backed off. Tough spot for Smoak, he needs at bats to pull up his stats coming into free agency. It will be interesting to see what happens .

Teoscar Hernandez: Played in 11 games, starting 10. Hit .212/.333/.636 with 4 home runs, 7 RBI, 6 walks, 14 strikeouts, 1 caught stealing.

7 hits, but 4 of them were homers, and 2 were doubles, only 1 single. If you aren’t going to get a lot of hits, you might as well make then all extra base hits. 14 strikeouts in 33 at bats isn’t what we’d like to see. In center, he’ll make a spectacular play, and then let the next one fall at his feet. UZR has him at a -9.9/150. With 35 games left, I’d be happy to see him out there in center in every one of them and decide in the off-season if that is his spot.

Randal Grichuk: Played in all 12 games. Hit .250/.298/.659 with 5 homers, 9 RBI, 3 walks, 11 strikeouts and 1 steal.

Played center once, DH once and, of course, 10 in right. For the season his OPS is .745, he has a bit of work to do to get to his .803 mark from last year. Maybe next year we could skip the slump to start the season.

Bo Bichette: Started all 12 games. Hit .275/.327/.510 with 2 home runs, 4 walks and 17 strikeouts.

Also 2 steals and 4 caught stealing. He could stop that. I’m thinking he’s just trying to push the envelop, and he’ll learn. Also hit 6 doubles. He’s only had 3 hits in his last 5 games, but we didn’t think he was going to get a hit every game of his career.

Brandon Drury: Played in 11 games, starting 9. Hit .297/.297/.541 with 2 home runs, 10 RBI, 0 walks and 6 strikeouts.

It would be nice to think this is sustainable. His hitting has been good since July 1. He’s hit .274/.303/.540 with 8 home runs. He seems to play decent defense at any position. Has a 10.0 UZR/150 at third base this season. I’m good with him as a utility guy.

Reese McGuire: Started 5 games. Hit .353/.353/.824, with 2 home runs, 0 walks and 1 strikeout.

He has been terrific. He’s thrown out 3 of 7 basestealers. He could have a very long career as a backup catcher.

Cold

Cavan Biggio: Started 11 games. Hit .186/.286/.326, with 1 home run, 6 walks, 18 strikeouts, 1 steal.

43 at bats and 18 strikeouts, that’s not a recipe for success. Sometimes I think he has a better grasp of the strike zone than the umpires, but he’s going to have to sometimes go after that pitch just off the plate. Or that pitch that he thinks is just off the plate. No matter what he hits, I want him playing every day. I think he is the type that will need playing time to learn how to succeed in the majors. I also want to see him at second a bunch, I’m not sure I like his defense there, but perhaps playing time will make him more comfortable.

In between

Vladimir Guerrero Jr.: Played in 10 games, starting 9. Hit .229/.289/.457 with 1 home run, 3 walks and 7 strikeouts.

Not hot, not really cold. I’d be ok with putting him on the 10-day IL for his knee, even if he doesn’t need the time, but we’ll see if plays today. I hate the idea of going into NL type games with just 2 or 3 guys on the bench.

Derek Fisher: Played in 10 games, starting 9. Hit .172/.294/.483 with 3 home runs, 5 walks and 12 strikeouts.

Again, a player with few hits, but most of them for extra bases (5 hits, 3 home runs). A .777 OPS seems pretty good. 12 strikeouts in 34 PA isn’t good. The Jays have a lot of players who need to get at bats over the last couple of months of the season. Charlie has work to do to get them all in. He’s had a couple of misadventures in the outfield. Every Jays outfielder gets one ‘lost in the lights’ free, hopefully that will be his last one.

Also Played

Rowdy Tellez: Played in 3 games. Hit .222/.364/.222, with 1 walk.

I’d like him to get a lot of at bats over the last month and a half. We’ll see if it happens. Rowdy really has to show he belongs. First basemen are pretty cheap to pick up. He’s going to have to show he deserves the spot.

Billy McKinney: Started 3 games. Hit .200/.273/.500 with 1 home run in 11 PA.

I’m pretty ok with him as a fourth outfielder. And being a left handed bat, he works well with our all RHB outfield. But, we have Gurriel, Grichuk, Hernandez and Fisher. And, if he ever can stay healthy, Alford.

Freddy Galvis: Played in 6 games for the Jays before being lost on waivers. Hit .160/.160/.240, with no walks and 9 strikeouts.

He’s hitting .440/.423/.680 with 2 homers, 0 walks and 8 strikeouts in 7 games with the Reds. I’m going to miss him.

On the IL

Lourdes Gurriel Jr.: Played in 3 games at the start of this two week period. Hit .214/.214/.429 with 1 home run, 0 walks and 5 strikeouts.

Quad strain. They haven’t said much about his recovery but I’m thinking he won’t be back until early September.

Luke Maile: Oblique strain. Another that they haven’t suggested when he might be back. When they picked Beau Taylor off waivers, I wondered if Luke had played his last game with the Jays.

Devon Travis: I can’t see him making it through the off-season on the 40-man.