Great work from the pitchers, but we just didn’t hit. Facing Walker Buehler will do that to a team.
We did battle. There were a lot of long at bats.
Our pitchers only allowed 6 hits, unfortunately two out them were home runs.
- Wilmer Font opened and pitched 2 innings, allowing 1 hit and 2 walks, with 4 strikeouts. He seems to do well in that opener spot.
- Buddy Boshers gave us 1.1 scoreless, giving up 1 walk, getting 2 strikeouts.
- Zack Godley gave up the Will Smith home run. It hit the foul pole. He went 3.2, with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts. And he gave up a line drive that Randal Grichuk and Teoscar Hernandez each figured the other would catch. Neither did. Grichuk chased it to the wall threw it in to Cavan Biggio, who made a great throw to the plate to get the runner. The play was reviewed but the call on the field was upheld.
- Ken Giles pitched the 8th, to get him some work. He had a hard time finding the strike zone. He walked the first two he saw, but then Cody Bellinger lined one at Brandon Drury (playing second at this point) who doubled up the runner at second. The next batter lined one that Bo Bichette made a nice attempt at, catching it but dropping it. A strikeout got Giles out of the inning.
- Jason Adam, just up from Buffalo, came into the suddenly tied game in the ninth. He gave up a jammed popup single. Very weak hit that landed in just the right spot. But, we got a nice double play, with Vlad (in the shift) making the turn at second. A pop out ended the inning.
- Tim Mayza went in for the 10 and served up a home run to Max Muncy. Tim has had a rough time of it lately.
On offense we didn’t do much against Walker Buehler went 7 innings, giving up just 5 hits with 8 strikeouts. Joe Kelly pitched a perfect inning of relief.
Kenley Jansen give up a tying home run to Rowdy Tellez (who had been having a tough game until that point).
Billy McKinney had 2 hits and we had a hit each from Bichette, Biggio and Grichuk plus, of course, Rowdy’s home run.
We had a shot in the tenth. Vlad, after a long at bat, walked, bringing up Bo, but Bo popped out to end the inning.
Jays of the Day: Tellez (.261 WPA), Adam (.125) and Font (.094).
Suckage: Mayza (-.375), McGuire (-.166 for an 0 for 4, 2 k). Hernandez (-.155 for an 0 for 4, 1 k), Drury (-.131, 0 for 4) and Bichette (-.090, 1 for 5).
We had 359 comments in the GameThread. Minor Leaguer led the way. Good job sir.