FanPulse: Most feel the ‘juiced’ ball is bad for baseball

New, comments

If you haven’t taken a moment to join SB Nation FanPulse, now is the time to do it. They survey of fans across MLB. Each week, they send polls to fans from each team MLB team. Blue Jays fans, sign up HERE to join FanPulse.

Last week’s FanPulse question asked us if we thought that MLB intentionally juiced the ball this year, and most of us (68%) thought they did.

This week they asked “Is a juiced ball good or bad for baseball?” We did our own poll last week, asking much the same thing , and most of us (77%) felt that a juiced ball wasn’t a good thing. The National numbers came out about the same:

Of course, the SB Nation poll don’t get as many casual fans voting. Perhaps if we talked to the general public, they might a different opinion. Maybe more causal fans dig the long ball than

Personally, I think if there were fewer home runs we might see more stolen bases and more interest in scoring different ways. I grew up in an era where there were most stolen bases and, of course, like any older guy, I think baseball was a little bit better then. But I do enjoy watching the changes in the game. Ebbs and flows in strategies are interesting to follow.

Before my time, in the early 1960s, the pitchers had an advantage. Scoring was down and it was a different game. Then baseball lowered the mound and scoring increased.

When artificial turf came in, and many parks had it, the ball moved faster, there was a premium on speed. Both defensively and offensively and the game changed.

PEDs came in and the game changed again.

PEDs were banned and sabermetrics were used by more teams and the game changed.

Now we seem to be in the three true outcome ere. Launch angles and swinging for the fences has changed the game.

The game will continue to change and grow. Part of the fun of watching baseball is getting to see these changes.

In the Blue Jays questions, we seem to be happy with manager Charlie Montoyo, he got a 94% approval rating. And the ‘confidence in the front office number stayed at the 74% it was last week. And, yeah I know, there are very strong negative opinions out there.