FanPulse: 58% are confident in the direction of the Blue Jays

New, comments

If you haven’t taken a moment to join SB Nation FanPulse, now is the time to do it. They survey of fans across MLB. Each week, they send polls to fans from each team MLB team. Blue Jays fans, sign up HERE to join FanPulse.

This week the national question (which came out just before the trade deadline) was Who would you prefer your team trade for?

  • The best available pitcher?
  • The best available hitter?

For Jays fans, I think it was a easy question. And apparently it was for everyone:

Teams are using so many pitchers it seems like there is a shortage of good pitching. Yesterday Buck and Pat mentioned that the Orioles led baseball by using 32 pitchers so far this season. But then the Blue Jays were only one behind. And give it a week, we’ll see more guys getting a shot at the majors (I’m kind of hoping Ty Tice gets a chance soon).

I guess that’s the biggest difference in baseball in the time I’ve been watching. When I was young teams had a 9 or 10 man pitching staff. Starters were expected to go 7 or 8 innings and relievers, even closers could pitch 2 or 3 innings if needed.

Now we know so much more about how a pitcher does the first, second and third times through the order. Relievers pitching more than an inning is unusual.

At one time I figured teams would go to three pitchers a game, each throwing 3 innings, all working on a three day rotation. Have a closer for saves in close games and an extra couple of pitchers to cover if needed. But it hasn’t happened. It is rare that we get less than four pitchers a game.

The Jays specific polls. We before the deadline we were less confident in the direction of the team:

I’m guess next week’s poll will have another drop.

I’m feeling good about the team. Watching the young guys play has been great. Finding pitching is going to be the problem. I’m curious to see if they good into this off season looking for free agent starters or if they use next year to see what they have in house and fill in the holes the next off season.

The other question, about manager approval. Charlie’s numbers have taken a step up. 94% of approve of the job Charlie is doing.

I’m feeling better about him too. There has been less bunting (maybe because the offense has been better. His bullpen management? Well, he is going to be tested over the rest of the season. It is going to tough for him to figure out who he can trust and who he can’t. It would help if Giles could pitch. He does seem more willing to let a reliever go more than an inning lately.

And I have less issues with lineup construction. Maybe it is because we have some guys actually hitting now.