Jays Roster Move: Yennsy Diaz up, Kingham to IL

New, comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays-Media Day Butch Dill-USA TODAY Sports

Shi Davidi says that Yannsy Diaz has walked into the Blue Jays clubhouse. He’s been added to the roster, Nick Kingham goes to the IL with a oblique issue.

Yennsy was pitching in New Hampshire. He has a 4.15 ERA in 21 games, 19 starts. In 112.2 innings he’s allowed 100 hits, 11 homers, 47 walks and 88 strikeouts. He was added to the 40-man in the offseason, so we knew it was likely we’d see him this year.

Yennsy is 22 a right-handed pitcher, who was 18th on our top 40 prospect list. I wrote:

Yennsy had a very good 2018 season. He started the season in Lansing. He made 9 starts there, had a 2.08 ERA. In 47.2 innings, he allowed just 22 hits, 25 walks, with 42 strikeouts.

He was moved up to Dunedin, where he played in 18 games, 16 starts with a 3.52 ERA. In 99.2 innings he allowed 91 hits, 28 walks with 83 strikeouts.

All that earned him a spot on the 40-man roster. Since he hadn’t pitched above A ball, we were a little surprised that he was added.

Diaz throws mid-90s, hitting 97 at times. He’s still working on change-up and a breaking ball, but then isn’t everyone in A ball. He walks more batters than you would like (8.8% last year) and more strikeouts would be nice (20.8% last year).

He’s on the 40-man, but it’s unlikely we’ll see him this year, though we should get a look at him this spring (or we would if Sportsnet would show us more of the games). He’ll likely start the season at Double A and we’ll see from there. But he could be an interesting arm in the bullpen (like many it wouldn’t be that much of a surprise if he ended up in the bullpen in the majors). He’s not a big guy, so working out of the pen might be the job for him, but the Jays will give him every chance to be a starter.

Today’s lineup: Grichuk is back in there, at DH today. Galvis plays second again. I’d prefer Biggio playing second but we’ll have some days off. McGuire catches