Winning Streak Ends for Blue Jays

New, comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Baltimore Orioles
That lead leg should touch the ground Bo.
Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 4 Orioles 6

So often a game will change on a couple of close plays:

  • In the Seventh inning, after Reese McGuire hits a 2-run home run to tie the game: Bo Bichette single and tried to score on a Freddy Galvis double. He was called safe, but the Orioles challenged the call and, looking at the replay, he was out. His lead leg on the slide went over the plate. If he had that foot down, he likely would have been safe. He really charged around the bases. With only one out, it might have been better to hold up at third, but it was a very close play at the plate. With it being the go ahead run, I’m ok on the send.
  • In the 8th, with Vladimir Guerrero on first after a single, Justin Smoak lined one down the right field line. I thought it was going to score Vlad, but it was just a tiny bit foul.

And it was a game of interesting fielding moments.

  • In the first inning Vlad lined one to left field, Anthony Santander came in on the ball and it went over his head for a double.
  • In the bottom of the first Derek Fisher went to catch a fly ball, had it go off his glove and then off his face. He had to come out of the game.
  • And, if the bottom of the fifth, with two out and a runner on first, Oriole Hanser lined a single to center, Teoscar Hernandez threw to third. Vlad, for unknown reasons, moved a bit in front of the bag, trying to catch the ball were it bounce. He didn’t and the runner from first was safe. It is a play he should have made and would have ended the inning. Next batter homers and we are down by 2.

Thomas Pannone started. He threw 4 good innings. In that fifth inning, he gave up a solo homer, a single and then there was the play Vlad should have made to end the inning and then the home run. He followed that with a nice quick sixth inning.

In all 6 innings, 4 hits, 1 walk and 9 strikeouts. 4 earned runs, but if Vlad had made that play it would have been 1 earned run. A good start.

Buddy Boshers had a really rough time of it. He came out for the start of the seventh, gave up a hit and walk and came out of the game.

Justin Shafer came in with runners on second and third and gives up a single and a ground out that scored both inherited runners. Then he got out of the inning but we were down by two.

On offense we have 12 hits, so we really should have scored more runs. We scored:

  • 1 in the first: Doubles by Bo Bichette and Vlad, with a stupid sac bunt in between. Nothing worse than a sac bunt in the first.
  • 1 in the third: Freddy Galvis (who bunted in the first) hit a solo homer.
  • 2 in the seventh: Brandon Drury lead off with a single and, an out later, Reese McGuire hit his first homer of the season, which tied the game.

Vlad had 3 hits. Bo, Freddy and Teoscar had 2 each. The only Jays not to hit were Smoak (0 for 4, 3 k) and Grichuk (0 for 4, 2 strikeouts.

Jays of the Day: Vlad (.197, though he should lose points for the bad play) and McGuire (.107).

Suckage: Pannone had the number (-.233) but I think he should get a mulligan. Boshers (-.216), Smoak (-.168), Grichuk (-.137) and Gurriel (-.100).

Former Jays made news:

  • Aaron Sanchez started and went 6 hitless innings. Glad to see it. I can only wish him the best. They showed him looking at his fingers after he came out of the game. I’m very much hoping here isn’t a blister issue. He came out after 92 pitches, which, considering he had a no-hitter going, seems a little early.
  • Joe Biagini also pitched a hitless inning. The Astros had four pitchers share in a no-hitter.
  • Marcus Stroman didn’t have as good a time of it. 4.1 innings, 7 hits, 3 earned, 2 walks and 3 strikeouts. He made one amazing play on defense (go watch the highlight.
  • Edwin Encarnacion was hit by pitch and left Yankees game with a fractured wrist.
  • Eric Sogard hit two home runs in the Rays win over the Marlins.

We had 608 comments in the GameThread. Barraqudie led the way.

# Commenter # Comments
1 barraqudie 56
2 lalalaprise 56
3 Belisarius 52