Clay Buchholz pitched much better than I expected. 5.2 innings, just 3 hits, 2 earned, 5 walks and 3 strikeouts.
He walked the leadoff hitter in 4 of 6 innings, but he also got 4 double plays turned behind him. He gave up a two-out walk in the 6th and Charlie took him out of the game. I didn’t understand why. We were up by 4, why be in such a rush. Charlie seems to want to use all the relievers in every game.
The pen did its level best to turn me even grayer:
- Tim Mayza came in and gave up a walk and out he goes. Because we have a dozen guys in the pen, we have to use them all.
- Derek Law followed and gave up a 2-run double, but then got out of the inning. He had a pretty rough seventh. It started with 2 singles. After a fly out, there was a walk to load the bases. Jose Altuve hit a soft grounder and Law did a nice job flipping the ball home to game the runner. But then Law walked Alex Bregman to score a run. That was it for him. He ended up with 1 inning, 3 hits, 2 walks and 1 earned.
- Buddy Boshers got Yordan Alvarez to strikeout.
- Jordan Romano wasn’t much better. He went hit batter, strikeout, walk, pop out and strikeout (again on a full count, our old friend Aledmys Diaz).
- Thankfully Ken Giles pitched a nice quick 3 strikeout ninth.
On offense, it was the Cavan Biggio show. He had a home run and a RBI double and a walk. Teoscar Hernandez also had a 2-run homer.
We had 10 hits. Two each from Bo Bichette, Cavan and Brandon Drury. The only Jays without a hit were Rowdy Tellez (0 for 3, walk) and Derek Fisher (0 for 4, 3 strikeouts, he also broke a bat over his knee).
Vlad had a pop fly single. Later he was thrown out trying to go first to third on a single. It cost us because Teoscar homered later in the inning.
Jays of the Day: Buchholtz (.151 WPA), Boshers (.118), Biggio (.216) and Teoscar (.164).
Suckage: Law (-.201) and let’s give one to Fisher (.073, plus he made a bad play on a fly ball off the outfield wall. Of course, he also made a good catch at the wall, and doubled off Altuve (who for some reason figured he should round second on a ball that, if it wasn’t caught, he could have scored easily from first). That was a big play.
We had 315 comments. DangYouToHeck led us to victory. Good job sir.