Mistakes were made:
- Bases loaded in the first inning, one out, Justin Smoak hits a fly to fairly deep left. Cavan Biggio tags up and scores from third....but no, Lourdes Gurriel also tags up from second and is thrown out. Since the out was before Biggio crossed the plate, the run didn’t count. Just bad baseball.
- Bottom of the first. Two on and two out (Sean Reid-Foley walked 3 in the inning), and a popup down the right field line. Brandon Drury, going back on the ball, figured Lourdes would get there (he really should have, it was his play, he has to take charge). When Drury found Hernandez wasn’t going to be there, he tried to make an over the shoulder basket catch and missed. Bo Bichette would pick up the ball and get the batter trying to get to second, but a run scored. I hate that this isn’t an error. It was too big a mistake to be an error, which is stupid.
- Bottom of second, Chance Sisco hits a fairly soft fly ball to center, easily catchable, but Teoscar decides to play it on a hop.
- Same inning, two outs (if Teoscar had made the catch above we’d be out of the inning by now), a soft ground ball hit almost right at Bichette but Bichette booted it. Bichette had the only official errors of the game.
- Same inning, next batter, doubles down the line, to the wall in left and Gurriel (his name is coming up a lot) had it go by him along the wall. Two runs scored, he might have had a shot at the second runner at the plate had he picked it up properly.
- Bottom of the seventh: Bichette makes a bad throw for his second error of the game. Maybe Biggio, playing first, could have made a better play on the throw.
Sean Reid-Foley had a tough time of it. 4 innings, 4 hits, 4 walks and 2 strikeouts. 4 runs scored against him, only one earned (and that one really wasn’t earned, if we could catch a popup), but he had a ton of trouble finding the strike zone.
Had he had more help from his defense he could have pitched deeper into games but when you walk that many, bad things are going to happen.
Buck and Pat talk about how throwing strikes keeps the defense on their toes and allows them to field better, I kind of feel that fielding better would give the pitcher confidence to throw strikes.
Yennsy Diaz got his first MLB appearance and it didn’t go well. He gave up a hit and 4 walks, while getting just 2 outs. It added up to 2 earned and a 27.00 ERA. I’m sure he’ll be less amped up in his next appearance. He looked nervous. It was good to see 97 on his fastball.
Buddy Boshers went 1.1 giving up just a single, with 2 strikeouts. He was the first of our pitchers to throw strikes.
Tim Mayza pitched a clean inning. And Ken Giles pitched for the first time in a while. He gave up a walk and got a strikeout in his inning.
We had 13 hits, but only scored 5 runs. The Gurriel mistake in the first inning cost us at least one run. Young team and we’ll make mistakes, but that one was hard to take.
Randal Grichuk, back from fouling the pitch off his mouth, was 4 for 5. And he was the one guy in the outfield who made all the catches.
Vladimir Guerrero was 3 for 5, including beating out an infield single in the ninth, giving us the tying run on base with just 1 out. He would more to third on a Grichuk single but that’s as fair as he got. He also had a 1-out single in the seventh and moved to third on a pair of wild pitches (the O’s were almost as bad in the field as we were), but was stranded there.
Bichette went 2 for 5 and when back-to-back with Biggio in the seventh inning. Teoscar also went 2 for 5, but struck out to end the game with Vlad on third. 2 hits and 3 strikeouts on the day.
Gurriel had a rough day in the field, but took 2 walks (with 2 strikeouts). Justin Smoak and Danny Jansen each had 0 fors. Smoak did take a walk in the 7th and came out of the game for a pinch runner.
Jays of the Day: Grichuk (.339) and Vlad (.174). They were also about the only 2 not to mess up today.
Suckage: Reid Foley (-.247, slightly unfair, because the bad play went into his score), Diaz (-.123), Teoscar (-.191), Jansen (-.163), Smoak (-.129), Drury (-.129) and lets give one to Gurriel for the baserunning error in the first and the 2 none-error errors in the field.
I don’t have anywhere better to mention this, but Expo45 and I are going for beers for tomorrow’s game against the Rays. If you are in Calgary (or easy driving distance to Calgary), we are meeting at Red Rock bar in Crowfoot, come join us.
We had 455 comments in the game thread. I led us to defeat.
|8||Drinkin' Wit' Terrell Farley||19|