Who’s Hot, Who’s Cold: Blue Jays Pitchers

New, comments

A quick look at how our pitchers did over the last two weeks.

Toronto Blue Jays v Tampa Bay Rays Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

The Blue Jays went 7-5 over the past 2 weeks. Our pitchers had a 3.63 ERA. Over the last 6 games their ERA was just 2.42.

Hot

Derek Law: Pitched in 6 games, 2 saves, 0.00 ERA. In 7 innings batters hit .048/.231/.095 with 4 walks and 6 strikeouts.

I think I owe Derek an apology. He’s been just great for the last month. When he came out for yesterday save I was thinking ‘oh no, we have a shutout going and we hand it to him’. And he was great. The appearance before that he have a 2 inning save. It either falls into the ‘no one knows anything’ category, or it falls under ‘any pitcher can have a good few appearances’. With the trades and with his good pitching, he’s moved himself up in the bullpen pecking order.

Tim Mayza: Pitched in 7 games, 1 win, 3 holds. In 5.2 innings batters hit .105/.150/.158 with 1 walk and 4 strikeouts.

He’s been terrific for the past month or so. He’s been great against lefties all season (.523 OPS) but not terrible vs. right-handers (.752 OPS). I thought he was pitching too much early in the season and then went through a bad stretch, but He’s been very good lately.

Jacob Waguespack: 3 starts, 2-1, 2.12 ERA. In 17 innings batters hit .210/.290/.290 with 6 walks and 8 strikeouts.

I don’t know what is going on with him, but I like it. 2 of his 3 starts were Quality Starts and the other one was just an inning short of being a Quality Start. In a season of unpleasant surprises, he’s been a very pleasant surprise.

Thomas Pannone: 2 starts, 4.50 ERA. In 12 innings batters hit .178/.229/.378 with 2 walks and 13 strikeouts.

ERA is inflated by was bad defense. He’s been very good.

Sean Reid-Foley: 2 starts, 1-1, 1.00 ERA. In 9 innings batters hit .229/.372/.314 with 8 walks and 6 strikeouts.

Kind of a marginal up arrow, but he’s been ok. Too many walks, but we knew that would happen. . He had 3 unearned runs in one of the two starts. He’s had troubles vs. LHP (.282/.417/.436) this season.

Justin Shafer: Pitched in 6 games. 1 save, 2 holds, 0.00 ERA. In 5.1 innings batters hit .250/.348/.300 with 3 walks and 4 strikeouts.

He has been good. He’s walked more batters than you would like, which seems to be a reoccurring theme, but he’s been getting outs.

Wilmer Font: Pitched in 4 games, ‘starting’ 1, 3.38 ERA. In 8 innings batters hit .267/.281/.333 with 1 walk and 7 strikeouts.

Always like a 7 to 1 strikeout to walk rate. He’s looked very good for a pitched we picked up for ‘cash’. In the game that he was the openner, I thought the should have let him pitch another inning.

Cold

Buddy Boshers: Pitched in 3 games, 1 loss, 7.71 ERA. In 2.1 innings batters hit .364/.417/.455 with 1 walk and 4 strikeouts.

Yeah, he hasn’t looked good.

Sam Gaviglio: Pitched in just 2 games, 7.71 ERA. In 4.2 innings batters hit .333/.391/.476, with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts.

He hasn’t pitched all that much lately. Maybe they are resting his arm after using him a lot earlier in the season. On May 6th Sam had a 1.12 ERA. Since then he’s had a 6.89 ERA. Last year he started great and finished far less than great too.

Joe Biagini: Pitched in 4 game before the trade. 1 hold, 6.75 ERA. In 4.0 innings batters hit .389/.450/.667 with 2 walks, 4 strikeouts.

Joe must be our best Rule 5 pick up since, I don’t know, Kelly Gruber? In his four years he had a 1.0 bWAR, but that comes from two positive WAR years and 2 negative ones.

Daniel Hudson: Pitched in 4 games before the trade. 1-1, 6.75 ERA. In 4 innings, batters hit .267/.333/.400 with 2 walks and 5 strikeouts.

We couldn’t have hoped from better from Hudson.

Also Pitched

Marcus Stroman: In his last start before the trade he went 7 innings, allowed 5 hits, 1 earned, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts.

Aaron Sanchez: In his last start before the trade he went 5.2 innings, allowed 6 hits, 4 earned, no walks with 10 strikeouts.

Ken Giles: Pitched in 2 games, 2 innings, no hits, 1 walk and 1 strikeout. I’m hoping he’s healthy now.

Jason Adam: Pitched in 2 games. 2 innings batters hit .143/.250/.571 with 1 walk and 1 strikeout.

He gave up 1 hit and it was a home run.

Yennsy Diaz: Pitched in the 1 game, gave up 4 walks and 1 hit, getting 2 outs.

A bad day and then he goes back to Double-A.

Trent Thornton: Made a start after coming back from the DL. He went 6 innings, allowed 5 singles, no walks with 2 strikeouts and 1 earned run.

David Phelps: Made 2 appearances before the trade. 1 was a perfect inning. The other he gave up 3 hits, 3 walks, 1 strikeout and 2 home runs.

DL

Clayton Richard: Out with a lat strain. I haven’t heard any news about him coming back.

Ryan Borucki: Elbow inflammation. Apparently they have consulted Dr. James Andrews. That’s no exactly good news.

Clay Buchholz: Muscle strain in his back. No idea when or if he’ll be back.

Nick Kingham: Oblique strain. He pitched in 1 game. 3 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk and 2 strikeouts. No runs.

Matt Shoemaker: Out for the season.

Ryan Tepera: Had elbow surgery at the end of May. I should expect him until September, if then.

Elvis Luciano: He’ll mysteriously recovered September 1st.