Jays get 3 home runs and beat the Rays

New, comments
Toronto Blue Jays v Tampa Bay Rays Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

Blue Jays 4 Rays 3

We seem to be getting some good work out of some cheaply picked up pitchers.

  • Wilmer Font opened and went 2.1 innings allowing just 1 hit and had 5 strikeouts. He went once through the order and had a very easy time of it.
  • Brock Stewart, just over from the Dodgers, followed. I guess we are calling this the bulk guy. He went 4 innings, allowed 2 hits and 2 walks, with 3 strikeouts. He also hit a batter. He only had one inning when he had more than one runner on base. He looked pretty in control most of the time. He had a couple of nice plays made behind him. He gave up a 1-out single in the seventh and he out and
  • Justin Shafer came in. Justin go the last 2 outs of the seventh and the first 2 outs of the eighth and Charlie took him out in favor of
  • Tim Mayza. Tim ruined the theme of good pitching, giving up a Austin Meadows double off the very very top of the center field wall (maybe 4 inches short of a home run, the Rays asked for a review), then a single to end the shutout, but got pinch hitter Jesus Aguilar to ground out. I was worrying because Buck and Pat said that there was no one up in the bullpen. I am not a fan of taking a pitcher out who is throwing well (unless there is a pitch count issue). I think sometimes you keep looking until you find the pitcher that just doesn’t have it.
  • Ken Giles caused us to sweat in the ninth. He got a hard hit fly out. Then gave up a single, a Mike Zunino homer (crushed to dead center) and another single to put on the tying run. A pair of strikeouts got him out of the game with the save, but he did not look right. I think they ought to get his arm checked out.

On offense, we only had 7 hits, but 3 of them were home runs and they drove in all our runs.

  • Lourdes Gurriel had a solo homer in the fourth.
  • Randal Grichuk also had a solo homer, this one in the sixth.
  • Derek Fisher (still sporting a very lovely shiner) had a 2-run homer also in the sixth.

Bo Bichette had a double, continuing his hit streak and adding to his extra base streak. He has tied an MLB record for hitting doubles in eight games in a row. And he drew a walk. Of course after the walk he was caught stealing for the second time this season. The 1 for 3 dropped his average to .409.

No Jay had more than 1 hit. Teoscar (0 for 4, 3 k) and Reese McGuire (0 for 4, 1 k) were the only Jays not to hit.

Jays of the Day: Stewart (.201 WPA), Font (.122) and Grichuk (.134). Lets give an honorable mention to Fisher.

No Suckage Jays. Teoscar had the low mark at -.075.

We had 317 comments in the weekday daytime GameThread. I led us to victory.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 59
2 radivel 34
3 Kate Stanwick 31