clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Blue Jays Complete Sogard Trade

And rosters expand

Seattle Mariners v Tampa Bay Rays Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

The Blue Jays and Rays have completed the Eric Sogard trade from a little over a month ago, getting in return a pair of young righties in Edisson Gonzalez and Candian Curtis Taylor. Neither of them showed up on any prospect list of the Rays.

Edisson Gonzalez is a 19 year old undersized righty, currently measured at 5’10” and 190 pounds signed out of Aguadulce, Panama. He spent 2019 pitching for the Hudson Valley Renegades, the Rays’ low-A affiliate. He made 11 starts and a pair of relief appearances, throwing a total of 62.1 innings. In those innings, he struck out an impressive 77 while walking just 13 and allowing 6 home runs. He went 4-2 with a 2.45 ERA, and seems ready to head to at least Lansing next Spring. He isn’t eligible for the Rule 5 draft until next offseason.

Curtis Taylor, a 24 year old from Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, is an imposing figure on the mound. He stands at 6’6” and is 230 pounds, and features a plus fastball/slider combo, at least according to Fangraphs. They give him a 60 FV grade on both his fastball and his slider, while his changeup is a fair bit behind that, and his command is questionable. He spent 2019 pitching out of the bullpen in AA, picking up 7 saves in 15 games, while also missing some time this year to an injury that I can’t find info about. In 17.2 innings, he struck out 16 against 5 walks, and he didn’t allow a home run. He is Rule 5 eligible this winter, and seems like someone who could have some success in the Jays’ bullpen.

With today being September 1, that means that rosters are expanding. However, our active roster count today seems to be going up by just 1 as our upper level Minor League teams wrap up their schedules tomorrow. That means we get just a couple changes for today.