T.J. Zeuch had a lot of base runners tonight. His night didn’t start well, he gave up a first pitch home run to Mookie Betts. When he gave up two more singles that inning, I figured it was going to be a short night, but he got out of it with the help of a nice throw from Reese McGuire, getting Rafael Devers trying go to second on a ball that got away from Reese.
Zeuch allowed 2 walks and a single in the second but got out of that one too. He allowed a walk in the third and had his only clean inning in the fourth. He gave up back-to-back 1-out doubles in the fifth and that was his day. Buddy Boshers allowed the second double to score (giving the Red Sox a short lived lead), so Zeuch finished with 4.1 innings, 6 hits, 3 earned, 3 walks with 1 strikeout.
- Justin Shafer got the last out of the fifth and had a nice neat sixth inning. He had 3 strikeouts in his 1.1.
- Derek Law pitched a quick seventh.
- Tim Mayza got the first 2 outs of the eighth (both lefties).
- Jordan Romano got the last out of the eighth.
- Ken Giles came in for the ninth. He gave up a 1-out infield single (Bo made a nice effort). Pinch runner Gorkys Hernandez stole second (McGuire made a good throw but it came out of Bo’s glove when he tagged the runner). A 2-out walk put the go ahead run on. But a Devers popup ended the game. That’s Giles 19th save.
We got all our runs on homers (and all from rookies):
- Cavan Biggio hit a solo shot in the third.
- Reese McGuire had the fourth inning’s solo homer.
- Rowdy Tellez hit a 2-run homer in the fifth, to give us back the lead.
We should have scored more. We had 9 hits and 5 walks, but left 10 runners on base.
We loaded the bases in the sixth: McGuire singled. He went to second on a passed ball and Anthony Davis bunted him to third (I hate bunts with runners on second, especially with no outs). Pinch hitter Teoscar Hernandez walked (good at bat). Bo Bichette struck out. Biggio walked to load the bases, but Vlad ground out. I thought Vlad was robbed on the strike one call, it was pretty high.
Everyone in the lineup reached base at least once, except for Vlad who was 0 for 4 with a k. Tellez and McGuire were the only Jays with 2 hits. Biggio had the homer and 2 walks (plus a strikeout, making it a true outcomes night).
We did get some good fielding in the infield. Biggio had a nice diving grab of a liner. Vlad make a diving stop of a ground ball and threw the runner out from his knees. Bo went a good distance to his right to get a ground and threw a 1-hop strike to first.
Jays of the Day: Tellez (.227 WPA), McGuire (.165), Biggio (.151), Giles (.164), Shafer (.106), Law (.096) and Mayza (.095).
Suckage: Vlad (-.166) and Boshers (-.086).
We had 325 comments in the GameThread. I led us to victory.