That game was a mess. So much bad defense from the Blue Jays that it was hard to judge how our pitchers were doing.
Some of the low lights:
- In the second inning, a line drive to right that Billy McKinney slides for and has the ball go off his glove for a “double” (how it wasn’t called an error I have no idea). A run scored on the play.
- Derek Fisher had a ball go over his glove at the track. Not an easy catch but one that should be made. He also had a ball that he made a slide for and missed. And, in the ninth, he had a fly ball fall in front of him and bounce past him, ruled a single and a two-base error. Next ball was a pop up that fell in front of him. Personally, if I had blown the first play, I would have gone all out to make this catch, but he didn’t seem to show any urgency.
- Anthony Alford, who came into the game for McKinney kicked a ball that he tried to short hop in right.
- Reese McGuire, trying to pick off a runner who strayed a bit away from second but threw the ball well wide of second. More towards the tradition spot for the shortstop, but way too high to catch even if there was someone there.
Only 3 official errors but many more official errors.
I’m sure there were more bad moments with the gloves, but the game was very slow moving and I may have zoned out a few times. . Vlad actually made a couple of good plays on defense.
Clay Buchholz didn’t have a great pitching line: 4 innings, 7 hits, 4 earned, 1 walk and 4 strikeouts, but if we had played average defense behind him, he might have only have allowed one run. At least 2 of his runs should have been unearned.
- Brock Stewart pitched a scoreless inning with just a walk.
- Buddy Boshers pitched the best inning I’ve seen from him. 3 up 3 down with a strikeout and he threw some good pitches.
- Jordan Romano had some troubles, he allowed 3 hits (one was a fly ball that Fisher should have caught), 2 runs (1 earned) while getting just 1 out.
- Thomas Pannone got the last two outs of Romano’s inning and pitch a nice neat eighth inning. 5 outs, no base runners.
- Justin Shafer pitched the ninth. He was the victim of Fisher’s bad defense. He had the 2 hits and an unearned run. Very unearned.
On offense, we got enough guys on base, but we didn’t score enough of them. We had 7 hits, 6 walks and 1 hit batter. We had 10 left on base.
Cavan was our best hitter. He had 3 hits (2 singles and a triple) and a walk. Bo, Vlad, Randal and Alford had a hit each. McGuire took two walks.
We didn’t have any home runs tonight.
Total time of game was 3:32 and it seemed longer.
Jay of the Day: Biggio (.121 WPA).
Suckage: Buchholz (-.207) and Romano (-.125) had the number but that was most on their defense. Let’s give them to Tellez (-.131, 0 for 4, 3 k, though one of them was on a bad call by the ump) and Bo (-.099, but he looked so good sliding home). And Fisher gets one for the awful defense.
We had 398 comments in the GameThread. DangYouToHeck was the leader.