We had a good game going until Brock Stewart came in for the 6 inning. Brock gave up 4 hits, 4 earned with 1 strikeouts. He was hit hard. Giancarlo Stanton started the inning out with a crushed home run and it didn’t get much better from there. Being fair, Teoscar Hernandez helped the bad inning along by losing a fly ball in the sun (his second such offense of the game), but everything was being hit hard off Brock.
T.J. Zeuch had a pretty good start, 4 innings, 4 hits, 2 earned with 6 strikeouts. He gave up a couple of runs in the 4th on doubles by Aaron Judge and Stanton and a single from Mike Ford. He left after 4 innings and 70 pitches. I guess they are watching his innings, but I thought he could have gone at least one more.
Thomas Pannone, Jordan Romano and Elvis Luciano each pitched an inning of relief. Romano gave up a run, the other two had scoreless innings. Elvis looked pretty good out there.
On offense we only had 6 hits. We scored a run:
- In the third. Drury lead off, reaching on a DiDi Gregorius error, went to second on a Richard Urena and scoring on an Jonathan Davis single.
- And in the seventh on back-to-back doubles from Randal Grichuk and Hernandez.
We had 15 strikeouts. Everyone in the starting lineup struck out at least once, Teoscar had 3 ks. And we didn’t walk.
We had more than out share of defensive problems:
- As mentioned Teoscar lost two fly balls in the sun. One I’ll forgive. Two? Not so much.
- Luke Maile, with a runner on second was soft tossing back to the pitcher, and the runner, Thomas Wade noticed and stole third. Just laziness on Maile’s part. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen that before.
- And Grichuk airmailed a throw into the plate, way over the cutoff men, allowing the batter to go to second on the throw. That stuff shouldn’t be happening.
No Jays of the Day. Let’s give an honorable mention to Zeuch.
Suckage: Stewart (-.228 WPA) and let’s give one to Teoscar for the 2 balls lost in the sun.
We had 218 comments in the GameThread. I led us to crushing defeat.