Poll Time: Vote for the Blue Jays number 19 moment of the 2010s

New, 6 comments
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

We are almost at the end of these polls (finally).

The winner of the poll for the number 18 Blue Jays moment of the 2010s was Steve Pearce hitting 2 walk-off grand slams in a week.

There wasn’t much that was good about the 2017 season. July 27 we were 8 games back, with a 47-54 record. After making the playoffs the two previous seasons, this season was a lot less fun to watch.

Going into the 9th inning, against the A’s, the Jays were down 4-3, but Kendrys Morales homered to lead off the inning to tie the game (a bright spot in a dismal month for him, he hit .232/.315/.421 that month). Roberto Osuna pitched a 1-2-3 top of the 10th.

In the 11th, the A’s had our old friend Liam Hendriks on the mound. He got Jose Bautista on a deep fly out, walked Miguel Montero (in the middle of a bad season, he hit .138/.248/.241 that year), struck out Josh Donaldson, then walked Justin Smoak and Morales to load the bases and Steve Pearce unloaded them on a full count pitch.

Three days later, against the Angels, we went into the bottom of the 9th down 10-4. Cesar Valdez (who I don’t remember at all) started for us, giving up 7 runs in 2 innings. Aaron Loup, Mike Bolsinger and Matt Dermody pitched 7 innings of relief allowing 3 runs, only 1 earned.

I’m sure most of us turned off the TV by the bottom of the 9th. But Ryan Goins started off the inning with a walk and Kevin Pillar followed it was his 12th home run of the season, making it a 10-6 game. Rob Refsnyder doubled, Ezequiel Carrera singled and Russell Martin singled to drive in Refsnyder making it 10-7. After a Justin Smoak ground out, Kendrys Morales walked to load the bases and Pearce again unloaded them, giving us an 11-10 win.

Only 3 players in MLB history have hit 2 walk-off grand slams in a season. The other 2 were Jim Presley, in 1986, and Cy Williams, in 1926. Only 2 other Blue Jays (George Bell, in 1988, and Gregg Zaun, in 2008) have hit walk-off grand slams.

Here is the first one:

Here is the second one:

Poll

My choice for the Blue Jays number 19 moment of the 2010s

This poll is closed

  • 10%
    2016 ALDS game 2, Jays hit four home runs off Yu Darvish, October 2, 2016
    (8 votes)
  • 2%
    2019 Jays 7 run comeback win over Rays in 12 innings, July 27
    (2 votes)
  • 3%
    Brett Lawrie throws helmet, hits umpire, May 16, 2012
    (3 votes)
  • 1%
    Chad Jenkins pitches 6 innings in Jays 19 inning win over Tigers, August 10, 2014
    (1 vote)
  • 7%
    David Price Trade, July 30, 2019
    (6 votes)
  • 1%
    Dustin McGowan pitches again September 6, 2011
    (1 vote)
  • 5%
    Goins and Barney pitch in 19 inning game vs Cleveland, Jays lose 2-1, July 1, 2016
    (4 votes)
  • 2%
    J.P. Arencibia hits 2 homers (and 4 total hits) in MLB debut, August 7, 2010
    (2 votes)
  • 0%
    Jays come back from down by 8 against the Reds June 20, 2014
    (0 votes)
  • 1%
    Jays score 9 in the 7th inning, come back from down 8-1 vs the Red Sox June 12, 2015
    (1 vote)
  • 1%
    Jays score 7 in the 9th inning against the Rays to win September 20, 2018
    (1 vote)
  • 5%
    Jose Bautista asks Steve Simmons "who are you and why are you talking to me?" on twitter
    (4 votes)
  • 16%
    Jose Bautista hits home run number 50 vs Mariners Felix Hernandez in Seattle September 23, 2010
    (13 votes)
  • 2%
    Jose Bautista homers off Darren O’Day and skips to first, June 23, 2013
    (2 votes)
  • 5%
    Josh Donaldson dives into the stands June 24, 2015
    (4 votes)
  • 2%
    Josh Donaldson hat trick homers August 29, 2016
    (2 votes)
  • 2%
    Josh Donaldson trade, November 28, 2014
    (2 votes)
  • 0%
    Lourdes Gurriel steals home vs Red Sox April 9, 2019
    (0 votes)
  • 0%
    Lourdes Gurriel’s mult-hit streak goes 11 games, July 29, 2018
    (0 votes)
  • 0%
    Marco Estrada takes perfect game into the 8th, June 24, 2015
    (0 votes)
  • 5%
    Marcus Stroman homers in Atlanta May 18, 2017
    (4 votes)
  • 3%
    Marcus Stroman’s first start after ACL injury, September 12, 2015
    (3 votes)
  • 1%
    Rajai Davis catch robs home run. October 5, 2015
    (1 vote)
  • 1%
    Rajai Davis scores from second on a bunt, August 5, 2012
    (1 vote)
  • 2%
    Rangers make 3 errors to set up Baustista’s home run, October 14, 2015
    (2 votes)
  • 0%
    Russell Martin playing preseason games in Montreal, April 3, 2015
    (0 votes)
  • 2%
    Russell Martin’s dad playing Oh Canada in Montreal April 3, 2015
    (2 votes)
  • 2%
    Russell Martin’s throw hitting Shin-Soo Choo’s bat, October, 14, 2015
    (2 votes)
  • 2%
    The Marlins trade, November 13, 2012
    (2 votes)
  • 1%
    The Tulo/Reyes trade, July 28, 2015
    (1 vote)
  • 2%
    Vernon Wells trade, January 21, 2011
    (2 votes)
  • 1%
    Vladimir Guerrero hits first 2 MLB home runs in San Francisco, May 14
    (1 vote)
  • 3%
    Roy Halladay dies in plane crash, November 7, 2017
    (3 votes)
80 votes total Vote Now