Free Agent Poll: Andrelton Simmons

New, 13 comments
San Diego Padres v Los Angeles Angels Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images

I acquired this idea in trade from Lone Star Ball for a minor leaguer (not the Minor Leaguer, I wouldn’t trade him for just one idea). It isn’t the first time I’ve stolen from them. The idea is to go through some of the top free agents, use the contract FanGraphs suggests they will get and have a poll asking if we would like to sign him for that amount.

Andrelton Simmons is number 16 on Fangraphs and 14 on Keith Law’s list of top free agents.Craig Edwards figures Simmons will get a 2-year, $17 million contract, $8.5 million a season.

Simmons is now a good glove/below average bat shortstop. He had a 99 wRC+ plus last year, so the bat isn’t all that bad. But the glove is still great. At 31, he might lose a step on defense over the next few years, but a 2-year contract should be short enough that he’ll still be excellent. Keith Law says:

Simmons is the best defensive player in baseball, and one of the best defensive players in MLB history, but he comes to free agency with a weaker offensive resume than he would have had two years ago. By TotalZone, the historical defensive metric Baseball-Reference uses to cover players from before play-by-play data was available, he’s eighth all-time among shortstops, and everyone ahead of him has a playing time lead of at least four full seasons. He is the all-time leader in Defensive Runs Saved at shortstop by a hilarious margin, and is second in Ultimate Zone Rating by just 3 runs, a deficit he’ll eliminate in 2021.

In the last 4 seasons, his fWAR has been 5.0, 5.4, 1.7, and 0.6 in this shortened season. If he had been a free agent a couple of years ago, he’d be a wealthy man.

He hit .297/.346/.356 last year, which I could live with, but his base running numbers have been negatives the last couple of years, which is hard to believe since he looks so quick on defense. If he can continue to get on base, we have several guys that can drive him home.We need to get better on defense up the middle. Simmons would undoubtedly do that. And two years would be about right to bridge us to Austin Martin and Jordan Groshans.

There are rumors that the Blue Jays have talked to him, but then I think they are talking to everyone to get a feel for what people will be asking. We used to make fun of Alex Anthopoulos for talking to everyone all the time, but he had nothing on Mark and Ross. It seems to be the smart business practice to speak to everyone early, just as long as we don’t jump early on someone like Kendrys Morales.

Poll

Should the Blue Jays sign Andrelton Simmons if the price is $8.5 million a year for 2 years?

This poll is closed

  • 30%
    Yes, absolutely
    (106 votes)
  • 19%
    Probably, but I’m not enthusiastic about it
    (67 votes)
  • 28%
    Probably not, but I wouldn’t hate it
    (100 votes)