Free Agent Poll: Didi Gregorius

New, 8 comments
Philadelphia Phillies v Tampa Bay Rays Photo by Douglas P. DeFelice/Getty Images

I acquired this idea in a free-agent deal. It was playing for Lone Star Ball, but it played out its contract, and we signed it (the sports metaphors aren’t going to last much longer). It isn’t the first time I’ve stolen from them. The idea is to go through some of the top free agents, use the contract FanGraphs suggests they will get, and have a poll asking if we would like to sign him for that amount.

Didi Gregorius is number 8 on Keith Law’s list and number 9 on the FanGraphs list.

Craig Edwards figures he will get a 2-year deal worth $23 million, $11.5 a year.

After a down season in 2019, caused by Tommy John surgery, Didi had a bounce-back 2020 season, playing in all 60 games, hitting .284/.339/.488 with 10 home runs for the Phillies. He played 59 games at short and 1 at DH.

His UZR number wasn’t good -1.5. In the past, he has been positive at short. Outs Above Average has him at a -1. I don’t see him as an upgrade defensively at short. And at age 31 (in February), I wouldn’t expect him to improve defensively, but he isn’t terrible at short. The way he hits, you can easily live with his glove.

But, he isn’t someone that would get me to move Bo off short. But then an average SS can be a good second baseman or third baseman. If you were looking to add offense, DiDi would add a good bat to the lineup.

His bWAR numbers over the last 4 years are 4.4, 4.8, 0.3, and 0.9 in this shortened season.

Law wrote:

I wrote last October that Gregorius should get $20 million per year on a four-year deal, and had any team given him that at the time, they’d be happy with the investment. The one downside for Gregorius this winter is that there are several other shortstop options available, so while his platform year is far more indicative of his present level of ability, competition might keep his salary below that mark.

So the cost Edwards suggested will likely be a bargain. It just depends whether you like bringing Didi into the Blue Jays mix or not.

Poll

Should the Blue Jays sign Didi Gregorius if the price is $11.5 million a year for 2 years?

This poll is closed

  • 25%
    Yes, absolutely
    (84 votes)
  • 14%
    Probably, but I’m not enthusiastic about it
    (47 votes)
  • 36%
    Probably not, but I wouldn’t hate it
    (122 votes)