Offseason Around The Nest Episode 3: Rob Fai, Evan Short, Zach Helton, and Scott Mitchell

New, 1 comment

Wrapping up 2020 by going chatting with Blue Jays minor league broadcasters, staff, and beat reporters

Photos of Jesse Goldberg-Strassler (top left), Rob Fai (top right), Evan Short (bottom left), Scott Mitchell (bottom right), and Zach Helton (centre).
On this week’s Around The Nest: Host Jesse Goldberg-Strassler (top left), Rob Fai (top right), Evan Short (bottom left), Scott Mitchell (bottom right), and Zach Helton (centre).

Just like the 2020 Major League Baseball season, the 2020 Around The Nest season is ending not long after it began. In our wrap for the season, host Jesse Goldberg-Strassler—the Voice of the Lansing Lugnuts—chats with Rob Fai, who had recently left his role as the Vancouver Canadians’ broadcaster, Evan Short, player development analyst for the Blue Jays, the final Voice of the Bluefield Blue Jays Zach Helton, and TSN’s Blue Jays beat reporter Scott Mitchell.

In this episode you will hear Rob recount some memories of his long tenure with the Canadians and the reason for his retirement, Evan gives us an update on the Blue Jays prospects’ performance at the fall instructional camp in Dunedin, Zach tells us what baseball in Bluefield will be like after the end of affiliated ball, and Scott gives us his perspective on the top minor leaguers and warns us to not get too attached to any of them.

Around The Nest is a labour of love for Jesse; time spent producing the show is time spent away from his adorable child. Jesse: on behalf of Bluebird Banter and Blue Jays fans I would like to express my deep appreciation for what you have provided us since 2012. No other fanbase has had the privilege of hearing weekly updates from broadcasters up and down the farm system during the minor league season. We don’t know what the 2021 minor league season will look like but we certainly hope that Around The Nest will continue to be around every Friday afternoon from Opening Day through Labour Day.