Ryan Borucki shut down by Blue Jays due to “tightness” in elbow

New, comments

It looks like the young lefty will not be joining the Blue Jays’ rotation out of the gate

Toronto, Ontario, CAN; Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Ryan Borucki (56) delivers a pitch against Tampa Bay Rays in the first inning at Rogers Centre.
Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Ryan Borucki (56) delivers a pitch
Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports

It is somewhat comforting that the irrational optimism that comes with the beginning of every spring training has whooshed by us so rapidly this year. I mean, we follow sports: is happiness something we actually enjoy?

This morning, the Blue Jays announced that they have shut down pitching activities for Ryan Borucki, who has been experiencing tightness in his elbow. According to Davidi’s reporting, an MRI has revealed that the elbow is just “tight”, so I think that it means there is just limited structural damage. The plan, according to Scott Mitchell, is to have Borucki rest for 10 days before reassessment. Borucki, who turns 26 at the end of March, will find it difficult to crack the Opening Day roster if this shutdown lasts for more than a couple of weeks.

The young lefty had bone spur surgery on his elbow in August 2019 after missing most of the season with other elbow issues. He had Tommy John surgery after he was drafted and missed the entirety of the 2013 season.

In other news, Ross Atkins has named Randal Grichuk as the Blue Jays’ starting centrefielder, and Reese McGuire has spoken to the club and has requested an opportunity to address the fans about his recent arrest.