clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Better know your Blue Jays 40-man: Yennsy Diaz

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Baltimore Orioles Evan Habeeb-USA TODAY Sports

Yennsy Diaz is a 23-year-old right-hand. He got added to the 40-man roster last year to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. He did get a callup last season, gave up a hit, 4 walks, 2 earned and got 2 outs and was sent back down. I kind of hate that a young promising pitcher only gets the one appearance and only has that memory of the majors.

Last year, after a very good 2018 season, he moved up to 18th on out top 40 prospect list, after being number 23 before. From last year’s write up:

Diaz throws mid-90s, hitting 97 at times. He’s still working on change-up and a breaking ball, but then isn’t everyone in A ball. He walks more batters than you would like (8.8% last year) and more strikeouts would be nice (20.8% last year).

He did have a nice season in New Hampshire last year. He pitched in 26 games, 24 starts and had a 3.74 ERA. In 144.1 innings he allowed 125 hits, 53 walks with 116 strikeouts.

With the number of starting pitcher prospects the Jays have gathered (the Jays have 4 on Baseball America’s top forty right-handed pitching prospects: Nate Peason (1), Simeon Woods Richardson (15), Alek Manoah (33) and Adam Kloffenstein (40). No other team had four on their list), I’d think that Diaz’ future is in the bullpen, if he stays with the Jays. The bullpen might be the place for him anyway. His fastball will likely tic up a bit out of the pen.

Odds are extremely long that he makes the team out of spring training unless he shows incredibly well during spring. But he has options so he could go up and down as we need him. There is also the chance that he loses his 40-man roster spot. Someone will make the team who isn’t currently on the 40-man.

He’s one of several who could be hurt but the new September roster rules as rosters will only expand to 28.

I haven’t seen a Sportsnet listing of spring game they are going going to let us watch so I don’t know if we’ll get to see him pitch this spring. I’m hoping that, with the upgrades of the park in Dunedin, they will be showing us more spring games, but I’m not going to bet on it. I’d expect that they will have improved things for TV. Maybe the center field camera won’t be up on temporary scaffolding in the future and maybe it won’t be bouncing with every gust of wind.

Steamer projects Yennsy to pitch 10 MLB innings this year.

Poll

If the over/under on Yennsy’s MLB inning is 10 I’d take the

This poll is closed

  • 57%
    Over
    (148 votes)
  • 42%
    Under
    (108 votes)
256 votes total Vote Now

Poll

At the end of the season Yennsy will

This poll is closed

  • 15%
    Be on the active roster.
    (41 votes)
  • 62%
    Be on the 40-man but not on the active roster.
    (163 votes)
  • 22%
    No longer be on the 40-man.
    (58 votes)