OOTP Season Sim Game 19: Ryu shuts out Rays

New, 9 comments
Minnesota Twins v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Mark Brown/Getty Images

There was some news before the game. The other day I noticed that Ryan Borucki was injured but they didn’t know the extent. Now that a couple of days have passed, it says he has a “ruptured ulnar collateral ligament” and will be out for 14 months. Sigh.

Blue Jays 2 Rays 0

Tropicana Field is usually the house of horrors for the Blue Jays. Today, not so much.

Hyun-Jin Ryu, making his fifth start for the Blue Jays, took a no-hitter into the ninth inning. Unfortunately Mike Zunino led off the inning with a single. He was thrown out trying to stretch it into a double.

Ryu faced just 1 batter more than the minimum. In the second inning, Hunter Renfroe reached on a Brandon Drury (playing second base) error. Drury is lucky the Rays got that hit in the ninth, or he would have be the ruin of a perfect game.

Ryu completed the game on just 93 pitches. He goes to 3-0 with a 2.12 ERA on the season. It looks like the big free agent signing is paying off, at least early in the season.

I love complete games in OOTP Baseball. It resets the bullpen. With the off-day yesterday and the complete game today, the Jays pen is good and rested for tomorrow.

On offense we did enough. We got 2 runs in the first inning, and that was all that was needed. Actually all we needed was the first two batters. Bo Bichette started off the game with a double and Teoscar Hernandez followed up with a home run. Two batters in and all the day’s scoring was finished.

We had 9 hits on the day. Vladimir Guerrero had 3 hits. Teoscar had 2. And we got 1 each from Bo, Travis Shaw, Lourdes Gurriel, and Derek Fisher.

Let’s give JoDs to Ryu and Hernandez.

Suckage to Drury for the error and 0 for 4 day.

The boxscore says 26,992 (sim) fans at Tropicana. They must have been giving out gold bricks to get that many into that stadium. It is going to piss me off if the Rays get better attendance than the Blue Jays in the sim.

The Jays more to 13-7 on the season. The Rays 10-10.

The Jays have Tanner Roark listed (0-1, 3.06 in 3 starts) to start tomorrow, but Nate Pearson is also rested, he could get the start. The Rays have Tyler Glasnow (4-0, 2.22 in 4 starts) listed as starter.

I do giggle when I see where the Yankees are in the standings.

Player stats 20 games into the season. Biggio and Jansen are not looking good early (Biggio is having a very good start to the season in my game).

Pitchers. If I’m running things I’m looking to replace Anderson in the rotation and I’d be watching Shoemaker’s starts. The team is off to a very good start, I wouldn’t want those two dragging the team down.