There was a bit of minor league news before the game:
- Jonathan Davis, with the Bisons, is out with a ‘torn thumb ligament’. They say he’ll be out two weeks, which seems like a rather quick recovery time.
- Samad Taylor, with Dunedin, is out with a ‘torn quadricep’. He’s to be out six weeks.
Two losses in a row to the Red Sox. Now we are only a half game up on Boston.
Matt Shoemaker had another poor start. He went just 2.2, allowed 6 hits, 6 earned, 2 walks with 2 strikeouts. His ERA jumps to 8.20. He and Chase Anderson
The pen did a better job, allowing 3 runs, just 1 earned, in 6.1 innings:
- Wilmer Font: 2.1, 3 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned, 3 strikeouts.
- Anthony Bass: 1.1, 2 hits, 1 walk.
- Dany Jimenez: 1.0, 2 hits, 1 unearned, 1 k.
- Shun Yamaguchi: 1.2, 1 hit, 1 walk, 2 k.
We didn’t allow a home run, a small victory.
The Red Sox got three hits each from Rafael Devers, Jackie Bradley Jr. and Jose Peraza.
On offense we had only 4 hits. Danny Jansen had 2 of them, getting his average up to .170. Teoscar Hernandez drove in both runs for the Jays, hitting his 5th home run of the season. He’s slowly bringing his numbers up, hitting .238/.316/.438. Travis Shaw had the other hit.
And we had a couple of errors. Font cost himself a run by booting a ground ball and Vlad also booted a ground ball allowing a run to score. Vlad has 4 errors and a .938 fielding average. It says he has a -0.8 Zone Rating. I’d be moving him to first next spring.
Suckage to Shoemaker.
We are falling back to the pack.
Tomorrow Hyun-Jin Ryu (3-1, 2.20 in 6 starts) tries to end our 2-game skid. Collin McHugh (1-0, 3.21, in 2 starts) goes for the Red Sox.