Welcome to SB Nation Reacts, a survey of fans across MLB. Each week, we send out questions to the most plugged in Blue Jays fans, and fans across the country. Sign up here to join Reacts.
Fans are ready for the return of baseball, and according to the latest survey conducted by SB Nation Reacts, they are behind the owners’ plan to start the season.
Of those surveyed, 69 percent believe it is feasible for regular season games to begin in early July. The current plan would likely get the season started around the July 4th weekend. There is a fair amount of negotiations that will have to go on between now and then.
That plan, which is being negotiated with the MLBPA, would feature an 82-game season from July until early November. Nearly 80 percent of fans believe that length would still be seen as a meaningful season, with 59 percent saying the season needs to be at least 81 games long.
This is in line with how fans voted in late March, when more than 50 percent of fans said they expected 90 games or fewer this season. However, only 40 percent of fans then believed that a season featuring only 82 games would be meaningful, with the remaining 60 percent needing over 100 games.
Fans appear willing to make a number of sacrifices just to see baseball played this year. In addition to a shorter season, 63 percent also said they expect the 2021 season to be affected by this coming season. We live in interesting times.
To sign up for Reacts and have your voice heard each week, sign up here.