OOTP Season Sim Game 45: Jays win in 12 innings

New, 4 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Atlanta Braves Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

In sim MLB news Yadier Molina got his 2000th career hit today. He is hitting .289/.357/.438 with 5 home runs for the Cardinals this year.

Blue Jays 10 White Sox 7 (12 innings)

Good news and bad news today. The good news is we won. The bad news is that Hyun-Jin Ryu came out of the game after the first batter with an injury. He’s out with a ‘dead arm’. Recovery time says 1 to 2 weeks, but the Jays have put him on the 14-day IL (if you remember, MLB changed the IL. For batters, there is a 10-day IL, for pitchers and two-way players it is 14-days. I do wonder if there will be a change to that if the season starts in July). So the Jays are going to be without their number 1 starter for 14 days. Brian Moran was called up to take his roster spot and Chase Anderson (he of the 7.84 ERA) is back in the rotation.

Anyway the game.

The Jays scored:

  • 1 in the first: Singles from Lourdes Gurriel and Vladimir Guerrero put runners on first and second. Lourdes stole third (Vlad must have been sleeping, guy on second steals, guy on first should go) and scored on Bo Bichette’s sac fly.
  • 1 in third: Cavan Biggio had a 1-out double and scored on Gurriel’s single.
  • 4 in the fifth: Danny Jansen singled. An out later Biggio singled. Gurriel singled and Jansen scored. After Vlad ground out, Bo Bichette hit a 3-run home run.

The Jays were up 6-0.

But any game where your starter comes out after the first batter, and you have a tired bullpen, and you use 8 relievers, you are going to have some who have a bad game.

Our relievers:

  • Eduardo Jimenez: Coming in for Ryu, he went 3.1 innings. He allowed just 1 hit, 1 walk with 1 k. If the White Sox hadn’t had the big comeback, he would have been the winning pitcher.
  • Wilmer Font: Came in with 2 out in the fifth. He finished the inning and pitched a quick sixth. allowing a hit and a walk, but getting 4 strikeouts.
  • Anthony Bass: Started the sixth and had a nice quick inning. The seventh didn’t go as well. He gave up a single and a walk and he was out of the game.
  • Dany Jimenez: Came in with the two Bass put on. He got a strikeout and then things went down hill. A walk and a 2-run single made it 6-2. Dany started the eighth giving up a walk and then
  • Rafael Dolis: Got a fly. Then a single to put two on. Then back-to-back home runs from Yasmani Grandal and Tim Anderson tied the game.
  • Jordan Romano came in with 1-out and no one on. He got an out and then gave up the third homer of the inning, this one by Nomar Mazara. And we were down 7-6.

Thankfully, we tied things in the 9th. Danny Jansen led off with a single. An out later Biggio replaced him at first on a fielder’s choice. Gurriel singled Biggio to second. Biggio scored on a single by Vlad.

  • Romano got the first two outs of the ninth then...
  • Chase Anderson got the last out of the inning.
  • Ken Giles pitched a quick tenth and eleventh. And the twelfth, loading the bases on a walk, hit batter and single, but keeping the winning run, then tying run from scoring. Giles pitched 3 innings, getting the win (yeah, something else that wouldn’t happen in real life, Giles would pitch an inning or two at most), because...

In the top of the twelfth Travis Shaw was walked by Evan Marshall who threw a quick eleventh inning. That was it for Marshall. Steve Cishek came in. He hit Jansen and then gave up a 3-run homer to Rowdy Tellez (I’m going to stop complaining about him for a day).

Giles gets the win for his 3 innings of scoreless work.

We had 15 hits in total. Gurriel had 5. Vlad and Jansen had 3 each (Jansen got his BA over .200 at .203). Bo hit a home run and had 4 RBI. Tellez pinch hit and stayed in the game, going 1 for 2 with 3 RBI and bringing his average up to .238 with a .524 SA.

Let’s give JoDs to Tellez, Gurriel and Bichette. And, on the pitching side, Eduardo Jimenez and Giles.

Suckage to Bass and Dolis (though both were tired going into the game. And, on the hitting side, Randal Grichuk (0 for 5, 1 k) and Drury (0 for 4, 2 k) before he was pinch hit for by Tellez.

We are back in sole possession of first place:

Tomorrow we have Nate Pearson (3-2, 3.06 in 9 starts) trying to even up the four-game series. White Sox start Dylan Cease (1-1, 4.50, in 9 starts. He’s about 3.5 innings a start. With their bullpen tired, they will want more than 3 innings our of him).

45 games in, let’s look at the player’s stats. If you were wondering, Teoscar Hernandez is hitting .261/.320/.391 in 6 games for the Bisons.