I’m still behind, this is Sunday’s game.
After the game the Jays made a couple of roster moves:
- Yennsy Diaz, who was activated from rehab just Saturday, was sent back to Buffalo without seeing action.
- Jordan Romano gets called up again.
- Hyun-Jin Ryu was activated off the IL. Ryu goes into the rotation. Surprisingly Shun Yamaguchi is the one coming out of the rotation and moved into the bullpen.
- Brian Moran gets sent back to New Hampshire.
Jays take 2 of 3 from the Pirates.
Matt Shoemaker didn’t have a good start, but it was good enough for the win. Matt went 5.1, allowed 7 hits, 4 earned, 1 walk and 6 strikeouts.
The bullpen gave us 3.2 scoreless innings of work:
- Eduardo Jimenez: 1.2 innings, 1 hit, 2 k.
- Brian Moran: Got just 1 out, giving up a walk and a single, before they could pull him. I think I’m going to hate the 3 batter rule.
- Anthony Bass came in with 1-out and 2 on and manged to strand the runners in the eighth and then got the first 2 outs in the ninth.
- Rafael Dolis got the last out of the game, getting his 3rd save (Ken Giles pitched in 3 of the past 4 days.
On the offensive side, we had 11 hits and 6 walks.
Bo Bichette played star of the game, getting 3 hits, including a 3-run home run. He finished the game with 4 RBI.
Lourdes Gurriel also had 3 hits.
Everyone else in the starting lineup had a hit (not counting the pitchers) had a hit, excepting Cavan Biggio who was 0 for 5. He got his batting average to .200 in yesterday’s game, he’s back down to .196.
- 1 in the first: Vladimir Guerrero took a 2-out walk and scored on Bichette’s double.
- 3 in the third: After the Pirates scored 3 in the second, to go up 3-1. Gurriel had a 1-out single. Vlad doubled and Bo hit his 3-run homer. 4-3 Jays.
- 1 in the fifth: The Pirates tied the game at 4 in the bottom of the third. Gurriel led off with a single. An out later, Bo singled. After a ground out, Randal Grichuk reached on an error and Gurriel scored. Pirates reliever dropped a toss from their first baseman on a 3-1 ground ball. 5-4 Jays.
- 1 in the sixth: Reese McGuire homered.
The quote from the game: Randal Grichuk said “We put it together today and came out with the win, that’s the main thing”,
JoD’s go to Bo, Lourdes, McGuire and the bullpen.
The Jays are now 45-33.
The Jays are heading to Milwaukee for a 3-game series with the Brewers. The Brewers are 28-48, 5th in the NL Central. Hyun-Jin Ryu (5-2, 3.27 in 12 starts), just off the IL gets the start. Brandon Woodruff (1-9, 6.44 ERA in 15 starts) goes for the Brewers. I hope to catch up on the games I’m behind tomorrow.
I’ll put up the full league standings: