There was a little bit of sim MLB news:
- Mike Trout his 300th career home run, against the Twins.
- The Orioles and Astros made a trade. Reliever Mychal Givens goes to Houston while minor league RHP R.J. Freure and minor league outfielder Zach Biermann got to Baltimore. Givens has 6 saves but he’s been hit hard. he has a 10.13 ERA giving up 43 hits in 26.2 inning.
And for the Jays:
- Anthony Kay was put on the IL with a herniated disk. He should be back when the 7 days are up.
- Elvis Luciano was promoted from Dunedin to New Hampshire.
- The MLB draft took place. Our first pick was Asa Lacy:
- CJ Van Eyk was our second round choice:
- Jake Eder, a RHP was the third round pick. After that was CF Mike Ludowig, SP Luca Dalatri and 3B Gage Workman were are picks in rounds 4-6. The draft went 35 rounds in the OOTP world.
- The first overall pick was SP Caleb Reis (by the Tigers). Orioles picked SP Anthony Arguelles.
Matt Shoemaker only gave up 2 runs, but he was pretty lucky, since he gave up 10 hits in 5.2 innings. His ERA dropped to 7.80.
Jordan Romano took the loss, giving up a run in his 1.2 innings, on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts. Rafael Dolis also gave up a run in his 1.1, on a hit and a walk.
We didn’t have much luck against Ranger pitching, even though Rangers starter Kyle Gibson came out of the game after giving up a walk in the bottom of the third inning, with an injury. No word on what the injury was, but he should be available for his next starts. We scored 2 runs off Gibson, one earned, one unearned, but we weren’t able to get much going against 5 Rangers relievers. We only managed 4 hits in 7 innings against their pen.
1 in the first: Cavan Biggio and Lourdes Gurriel started off the inning with back-to-back singles. Biggio moved up to third on a fly out by Vladimir Guerrero. Cavan scored on a passed ball by Isiah Kiner-Falefa.
1 in the second: Randal Grichuk and Rowdy Tellez started the inning off with singles. Gricuk scored on a double by Danny Jansen. But, with runners on second and third, and no outs, we couldn’t get another run. Travis Shaw and Biggio both struck out and Gurriel ground out to end the inning.
We got runners on second and third again in the third inning but couldn’t score. And did that again in the ninth, but we couldn’t get the tying run in.
We managed 9 hits and 5 walks, so you would think we could have managed more than two runs. Gurriel, Grichuk and Jansen each had two hits. Bo Bichette, Derek Fisher and Travis Shaw (moved to the bottom of the lineup) went hitless.
The Jays are still in first place:
35110 sim Jays fans simulated the trip down to Rogers Centre, so attendance is getting a little better with the team in first place. I wonder how many went to the sim Black Lives Matter march before the game?
Tomorrow Tanner Roark (1-2, 3.93 ERA in 11 starts) is listed as starter for the Jays. Corey Kluber (3-5, 3.49 ERA in 13 starts) goes for the Rangers.